Red Lion G310

Crash+Flash

Two questions;

1) Is there a better way to make a data entry button other than placing a data entry box on top of a button that has no action?

2) Why the heck can't I display multi-line data field in a data box if entry operation is enabled?

Two questions;

1) Is there a better way to make a data entry button other than placing a data entry box on top of a button that has no action?

2) Why the heck can't I display multi-line data field in a data box if entry operation is enabled?

1. I don't understand what the purpose of a "data entry button" is. A button is normally used to toggle a value, perform an action, or increment (or decrement) a value. Why would you use a button for data entry - what is the benefit?

2. What kind of data would you enter that would need to be multi-line? I can see entering strings - is that what you are trying to do?

Let's just pretend I want a button that says "Press here to enter a new value for the United States debt ceiling in order to avoid default" that triggers the numeric entry keypad, but the button is tall and narrow instead of short and wide.

What I really want is a programmatic way to prompt for a numeric value, like a function InputNumeric(variable) command...

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no way for a button to prompt the keypad. Only data entry variables can prompt the system keypad.

Thanks
Jeremy

I don't see why you couldn't just make a numeric entry object and display the label only, then use a data box to show the resultant value somewhere else if desired.

I just tried this and there are a couple of things to be dealt with but no deal-breakers. The text will come from the tag label and is restricted to one line. No big deal, just shift it down and make it a one or two word description for the data.

Then add some plain text above it to say "Press to Edit" or whatever you want, then group them...

Quick and ugly example attached works fine in emulator.

Last edited:
What if you place a button on the screen that opens a popup window that is only the size of the variable field where the data would be entered? You'd still have to tap the field to open the keypad though.

Tom

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no way for a button to prompt the keypad. Only data entry variables can prompt the system keypad.

Thanks
Jeremy

So just make the data entry object look like a button...which is what I did in the example.

tmccormick said:
What if you place a button on the screen that opens a popup window that is only the size of the variable field where the data would be entered? You'd still have to tap the field to open the keypad though.

The pop-up seems overkill when the above works, but would also work if you had your own keypad built, otherwise, once the pop-up opens, you gotta touch something on it again to get the data entry keypad....oops, I think you said that