1747-dtam-e

MattsElec

I am trying to connect a 1747-DTAM-E thru a 1761-NET-AIC and then to a 5/04. Based on the DTAM manual you can do this with a 1747-AIC to a 1761-NET-AIC. Question is, is there anyway to do it without hooking it up to the 1747-AIC? I cut the RJ45 end off of the cable and hooked it up as follows to DH485 of the 1761-NET-AIC:

Pin 1 - Red to Pin 4 of 1761-NET-AIC which is B
Pin 2 - Blk to Pin 5 of 1761-NET-AIC which is A
Pin 3 - Brn to External (+)24VDC
Pin 4 - Wht to External (-)24VDC
Pin 5 - Blue to No Connection
Pin 6 - Shld to Pin 2 of 1761-NET-AIC which is Shld
Pin 7 - Grn to External (-)24VDC
Pin 8 - Org to External (+)24VDC

Then I am using a 1747-CP3 cable from the RS232 port 1 from the 1761-NET-AIC to the Processor. I even tried putting the jumpers in between pins 1&2 and 5&6 with still no luck.

I have a 90Watt External power supply hooked up to the 1761-NET-AIC and have the switch set to external on the 1761-NET-AIC.

The 1747-DTAM-E does power up but I get an Illegal Network error. Plus, I never see the RS232 indicator light up on the processor even though I see the TX lights on the 1761-NET-AIC ports 1 and 3 blinking indicating that it is trying to communicate.

If I have to buy a 1747-AIC to make it work I guess I will have to but, am trying not to.

Thanks for any information and help in this matter.

Welcome to the Forum; that's a very detailed first post !

Is the SLC-5/04's Channel 0 serial port set for DH485 protocol and a unique Node Number that the DTAM-E is trying to access ?

The default protocol for Channel 0 is DF1 Full Duplex, which won't work with the DH485 only DTAM-E.

Thank you and yes channel 0 is set to DF1 full duplex with node 1. So, it looks like I have to buy the 1747-AIC and use it to communicate to the 1761-NET-AIC and then it should work. Wish there was a way but, oh well. I will just buy the other device and go from there. Thank you for your quick responce.

I try to put in as many details as possible so that everyone can get an understanding of what I did and what I am trying to do.

Let me re-state... the default setting for Channel 0 is DF1 Full Duplex.

The protocol is settable in RSLogix 500; just change Channel 0 to DH485 protocol and it should work fine with the DTAM-E. The RS232 LED will go either steady (token being passed) or flashing (still have some configuration to do).

I think the system as described ought to work. The cable you're emulating is the 1761-CBL-AS09, I think. DH485 cabling is something I always tried to color inside the lines on.

It's been forever since I've seen the DTAM-E. Does your cable from the DTAM-E to the 1761-NET-AIC plug into the "RJ45" style socket, or the wider and flatter "AMP Connector" socket ? It sounds like you had a 1747-CP10 (one side RJ45, one side AMP) and cut off the RJ45 side. I'm just trying to figure out which cable you have.

Last edited:
Yes it is the 1747-CP10, one side AMP and one side RJ45. I cut off the RJ45 end and wired the color coded wires I stated in my first post to the snap in 6 pin connector on the 1761-NET-AIC. I will change the driver to DH485 in the processor and give that a try.

The reason behind all this is that we run a conveyor system that I programmed with start and stop delay timers. They always want to change the delays and I have to bring the laptop down, boot it up, access the prgram, make a small change and then pack everything up. If I use the DTAM then I can just access the timers and make the changes faster and save the wait time of booting everything up.