How to display plc data on tv

Don't some of the newer ethernet cards (for AB and others) come with built in web-servers and/or configurable web pages ? ie- you go to the HTTP address of the card and it brings up a web page that is configurable to show some statuses and I/O states.

I guess you'd still need a PC running a web browser, but for large display only, this would be very simple. (and all large TV's sold now have VGA inputs....)

-John

Not available yet, but shortly Red Lion will be introducing a "ProducTVity Station" with 720p & 1080 p/i outputs. It has a DVI connector and includes a DVI to HDMI adapter. (This is preliminary info and may change.)
I have seen it at a new product training day, very nice product.
Contact your distributor for details and availability dates.
It is similar to their Data Station.

Last edited:
Not available yet, but shortly Red Lion will be introducing a "ProducTVity Station" with 720p & 1080 p/i outputs. It has a DVI connector and includes a DVI to HDMI adapter.
I have seen it at a new product training day, very nice product.
Contact your distributor for details and availability dates.
It is similar to their Data Station.
Awesome...so then we can get rid of our kludge of Windoze PC + KVM + mess of cables, drivers, and wall warts just to have a 17-19" touchscreen...

I'd say that most often this is implemented by using a PC running the client software of whatever SCADA or HMI platform is prevalent in the plant; I've seen big plasma screens running InTouch and RSView and Cimplicity. Some platforms offer a "read only" client license that's less expensive.

If I had to do this today and didn't have a standard HMI platform as a guideline, I would use Inductive Automation's Ignition Panel Edition and a cheap "nettop" class PC.

The O.P. didn't mention historical or trend or data, just "production data", so my guess is that he's looking at something like a Takt Time display.

Awesome...so then we can get rid of our kludge of Windoze PC + KVM + mess of cables, drivers, and wall warts just to have a 17-19" touchscreen...
The TV could be as large as 42" or bigger, but it is still a TV not an HMI touchscreen. For this you may want to include some screens that are used by an HMI or iPhone/iPad.
I did not ask and the preliminary documentation I have does not say if one can use a large touch screen with HDMI connection.
You know Red Lion, when they can they will make it happen.

The TV could be as large as 42" or bigger, but it is still a TV not an HMI touchscreen. For this you may want to include some screens that are used by an HMI or iPhone/iPad.
I did not ask and the preliminary documentation I have does not say if one can use a large touch screen with HDMI connection.
You know Red Lion, when they can they will make it happen.

Yes, the touch+driver portion of this would be the sticking point, but if there is enough demand and a method to get that to work (I am thinking USB or serial touch drivers in the Red Lion box)...the Red Lion folks will probably make it possible.

I am currently looking at setting up 4 LED 40" screens for four production lines
4 x HDMI - E/net extenders
1 or 2 Slave PC's
1 server PC
AB Historian
AB Desktop
Control logix PLC
Looks good on the surface
It does not matter which PLC al long as it is viewable on the network