Need HELP!!!!

JMatBP

I am currently having problems with an IC610 PLC by GE FANUC.
It all started when the last card in the rack (one farthest from Pwr Sup.) started blowing fuses. After replacing the fuses and reinserting the card I have a NEW problem. The card now looks to have no pwr going to it. There are no LEDs on and there is no output voltages. (this is a 115VDC out card). Is it possible that this slot has died? If so is it possible to move this card to another slot with out haveing to reprogram?
Also the CPU RUN led is on but there is now output voltage on the far right of the rack. I am using this signal to latch a contactor that pwrs a bunch of motors and heaters. So I have to figure out why I lost this signal.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem? Unfortunatly I am very unfamilar with PLC. I've been lucky enough that they usually just WORK.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Jason

Sounds like you have overtaxed the power supply to some extent. The porwer supply furnishes several different voltages, if the power supply is good/ok then perhaps you have smoked the rack, burned the actual traces carrying the supply voltages. Placement of the card is program dependant and they cannot be simply placed in another slot. The ac output card sounds like it was either bad or field wired incorrectely. I suggest checking out the source of the failure before replacing or swapping electronics, you may end up with some more burned up devices. I suggest that if you, in the future, are planning to hook relays/starters/heaters to the PLC system you should incorporate a separate supply to operate these devices and use an interposing relay to turn them on and off. This does not solve your problem now though. Does the system still function, albeit not totally functional because of the missing I/O card, is there a heartbeat? or is it just looking nice with lights?
If it's totally dead I would suggest having a look at the rack or backplane and check for electrical damage there. A new rack and power supply may be in order.

Good Luck

Last edited:
When you say you were blowing fuses, did you mean fuses on the output module or external to the module? If you were blowing fuses on the module, its likely that the problem was in the device being controlled by the module. I'm assuming you meant 115VAC, not 115VDC. These modules require an external power source. Its possible that you also blew a fuse in the 115VAC feed to the module.

The addressing in this PLC is dictated by the physical location of the module, so you can't move the module to a different slot unless you also change the program.

Try replacing the contactor, recheck the fuses on the output module, and also check the wiring external to the PLC. If you need to come back with follow-up questions, let us know the part number of the output module.

Need HELP part 2!

Bitmore, Steve, thanks for your inputs.
I'll try to clerify somethings. The PLC is not being used to power seperate motors and such. I do have seperate power supplys that are being used. That is what I ment for the RUN signal to activate my contactor. If that contactor won't intergized then I get now power to my OTHER power supplies.
As for the part number on the Card I am blowing fuses it is... IC610MDL175B and yes it is 115 VAC.
Finally, for the PLC's condition now. It is still breathing. I still get all the lights and standard signals from this unit. It seems that the only two problems are #1. I/O #5 seems to be completely dead. I have swapped this with a new I/O and have the same simptoms. So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Rack of the CPU. #2. There is no output signal for a RUN status but he Run LED is lit!

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input!

Jason

That's an eight circuit AC output module. The eight outputs are in two groups of four. Each group is protected by a 5 amp fuse. Point #5 is in the second group. For that output to work, you need 115VAC on terminal 'HB' on the module. That's what I meant by external power. You should be able to measure 115VAC between terminal HB and AC neutral whether or not the individual output is energized. If the voltage on terminal HB is zero, you won't be able to pull in that contactor. Don't overlook the possibility that the circuit connected to terminal HB may be protected by a fuse, and that fuse may also be blown.

By the looks of the circuit diagram in the manual, the LED associated with the output point is on the logic side of the circuit, so if the PLC is commanding the output to be on, you should see the LED illuminated.

It sounds like you're using the PLC's RUN relay contact in the circuit for the AC contactor. If that has failed, you'll have to replace the rack.

Last edited:
Still trying...

I checked the voltage at HB and there is nothing. Now I my module is wired with HA and HB jumpered together. So both should have 115VAC correct?
Also, I have another one of these 115 Output mods in the slot right besided this one. I noticed that it also DOES NOT have 115VAC at HB. But it seems to be operating correctly. It also has the jumper wire to HA. Acutally, BOTH modules seem to be wired together. Both are using wires labled 107 Running to BOTH HA and HB (there are 4 wires labled 107, 2 for each module, 1 for HB and 1 for HA) with a jumper between Both modules' HB and HA respectfully. For a total of 6 wires. Does that make any since?
HA after reading that I think I'm confused!!!
Hope you can make heads or tales of that.

Once again THANKS,

Jason

PM from JMatBP:

Steve,
Thanks for your help. I am currently looking at my output modual. Now you said if I am able to read 115VAC at HB and there is still no output that I need to buy a new rack?

Jason

Jason, I would rather keep this on the forum.

It's not quite as simple as checking for external voltage on your output module. To begin with, I don't have either the circuit diagram or the PLC program for your system, so all I can offer are suggestions.

Think of the PLC output as a switch. When the PLC program turns the output on, that's the same as closing the switch to complete that portion of the circuit. The LED on the faceplate of the module associated with the output is a pretty good indication whether or not the PLC is turning the output on. A better indication would be to use the handheld or the programming software to monitor the output point while the PLC is running its program. If you've got voltage at terminal HB AND output #5 is on, AND you don't have voltage at terminal 5, then either the fuse protecting outputs 5 - 8 is blown, output #5 is bad, the whole module is bad, or the rack is bad.

In yur first post, you mentioned
now output voltage on the far right of the rack
In your most recent post you mentioned
There is no output signal for a RUN status but he Run LED is lit!

I took this to mean that you are using the PLC's 'Run' relay contact in your circuit. It's possible that either the 'Run' relay contact or the relay itself have failed. If you determine that to be the case, AND you are indeed using the contact in your circuit, then you'll need to replace the rack. The relay is not considered a field-replaceable item. If you have a means of switching the PLC between RUN and STOPPED, (the handheld's keyswitch is one such method) you can check for proper operation of the RUN relay.

Steve,
Thanks for everything! I really appreciate all your effort.
This site if very helpful. I wold recomend it to anyone seeking help on PLC's.

Thanks on last time,

Jason

P.S. Looks like I'm in the market for a new rack. Got any suggestions? HA HA

JMatBP said:
Steve,
Thanks for everything! I really appreciate all your effort.
This site if very helpful. I wold recomend it to anyone seeking help on PLC's.

Thanks on last time,

Jason

P.S. Looks like I'm in the market for a new rack. Got any suggestions? HA HA

The old Series One rack seems to have a problem where the rack simply shorts out for no apparent reason (I have two under my desk that I use as footrests).

Replace the rack, you can get the new one from AutomationDirect.com

John

I have found you can pick up these racks fairly inexpensively on Ebay. If you have any doubts a new one from Automation Direct is a very safe bet.