SLC 5/05 ETH setup

mfmckenzie

I have a slc 505 ethernet cpu that I put in to replace a bad 504 and I cannot communicate with it. I cant even get links to comm via the rs232 port. Need help please.

Did you try RSLinx Autoconfigure for the RS232 DF1?
Did you default the 5/05 processor?
Did you see if the 5/05 can be assigned an IP address with the BOOTP/DHCP utility? (Connect ONLY the computer and the 5/05 together for this to eliminate possible external DHCP servers).
Did you read the manuals for the 5/05?

If you tried Auto Config and it didn't work, ensure there is nothing else trying to use the same Comm port.

I have had issues before where Siemens is trying to use the port so Rockwell cant access it.

Mark

In addition to Mark's advice above, try connecting to an existing, working processor first with your serial cable. If that works, go back and try the auto config again. If connecting to an existing processor doesn't work, follow Mark's advice, and/or try a different cable, or a null modem adapter.

Check that there isnt a memory card with an old program.

Check that the SLC5/05 is properly reset.
If properly reset, it will show a slowly flashing FLT when powering up.
Reset it by disconnecting the battery, and shorting the big fat capacitor that sits next to the memory card slot.

I have found the problem. The jumper connector on the card was on program. I removed it and got online no problem. Now I have a comm hardware flt on my panelview 600.