ML-1100 mobile connection

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys,
I want to connect my ML-1100 to the internet without WiFi. I would like to buy it (the PLC) a mobile wireless connection. Has anyone done that. How do i get started? A problem is that the PLC is in a government bldg that would be prohibitively expensive (and possibly not permitted) to install WiFi. Otherwise, i would have verizon or AT&T run a line.

narlin

I've used Multitech cellular modems quite a few times to do just this. Do you just want to be able to go online with it or are you looking for some HMI interface also?

Digi and Prosoft and Sierra Wireless make good heavy-duty cellular access points that can work with controllers. I like Cradlepoint a lot for commercial-duty gear. D-Link products go straight to the trashcan to save time.

I very, very strongly recommend using VPN instead of connecting your controller directly to the Internet.

Thank you. I will look at each of these. The reason i can't use the govt wireless is that it doesn't extend to the utility area and they can't pay for the extension directly. They can cover a monthly utility maintenance that includes my owning the communication plan.

narlin