I am looking for ideas

kwires

I am looking for a device that will let me enter values or select values that will write to a AB slc500. I want to be able to change the start and stop time for a glue stitch, currently they are hard coded in the plc logic and its a little bit of a hassle to change these values. I dont really want to add an HMI but i gues i will if there is not an alternative out there. Thanks in advance.

I am looking for a device that will let me enter values or select values that will write to a AB slc500. I want to be able to change the start and stop time for a glue stitch, currently they are hard coded in the plc logic and its a little bit of a hassle to change these values. I dont really want to add an HMI but i gues i will if there is not an alternative out there. Thanks in advance.

A cheap way to do it without an HMI is with some Selector Switches. A two position Spring Returns Switch for Add/Subtract, and another Selector Switch to select which value you are changing.

Each time the Add/Subtract Selector Switch is operated, add or subtract a fixed amount from the Timer Preset. You will also need a One Shot Instruction so it doesn't Add/Subtract every Scan.

Stu....

Another alternative is a Nordson PC50 glue controller. It only needs a trigger from the PLC, then it handles the length and spacing of the stitches quite nicely. You can set up different patterns that the operators can switch between with a few keystrokes. It's really easy to set-up.

I've never seen how much one costs, but judging by the cost of their other components (glue nozzles, modules, solenoids, etc.) I imagine it eats up some $$$.

Probably comparable in price to an HMI set-up, but it's going to be a lot more precise and easier to use/adjust.

Just my .02

I have also used the PC50, and they do work quite well, so it is a viable option as bmacattack33 suggested. Nordson isn't cheap, but it is good quality.

Stu....

Thanks,
That really is a cheap and nifty idea, and i could probably teach a couple of other mechanics to work it, but....not sure if i can teach that to an operator or production supervisor. Anything else out there on the market that i can easily label and make user friendly?

We use Dynatec glue machines all over the plant, probably not going to be cost effective to buy a new machine with new parts inventory and new learning curve. All of our other casers have an HMI and use PLS settings to adjust glue stitch except for this one particular caser. Good stuff though.

A cheap way to do it without an HMI is with some Selector Switches. A two position Spring Returns Switch for Add/Subtract, and another Selector Switch to select which value you are changing.

Each time the Add/Subtract Selector Switch is operated, add or subtract a fixed amount from the Timer Preset. You will also need a One Shot Instruction so it doesn't Add/Subtract every Scan.

Stu....

We used to use that exact set-up on several of our carton formers. We upgraded them a few years back to the Nordson system. I was just a floor mech. at the time, wasn't much into PLCs at the time, but I remember guys complaining about the SS's because apparently if an operator hit the switch too many times, the value would go out of range and a technician would have to come in, reset the value back to somewhere in the middle of the window in the PLC manually, then have to experiment with the timing until the glue worked properly again.

I'm sure the logic could be set-up better so that a setpoint was saved before an adjustment was made, and so that an "outside the window" condition didn't occur, but I never did get to look at the logic.

That system would definitely be a good, cheap alternative, as long as it was programmed well.

Good point bmacattack33, some low and high limits would be a good idea in the PLC Code, and something to prevent the times from overlapping.

Stu....

Mickey, I have no idea. I think retail with shipping about $20 maybe theres lots of folks out there who sell these they have been around a long..... time