PowerFlex 700

hazey

Hi guys, I have a Powerflex 700 drive with a 0-10v Reference. What happens to the drive if the reference goes to 0v for a long time? Does the drive go to stopped or standby mode, or just sit there at speed?

thx
Hazey

Yes guys I do realize it will not run, but what does the drive show on the HIM? After a time does it show at Speed or does it go to Standby?

thanks

hazey

carefull about this if the drive is enabled and in run fwd or rev .You may want to give it a stop command lets say your using a pot to control speed and the signal is 0.7 volts and you have a heavy load on your motor the operator doesn't see the thing moving but the drive is outputing voltage just not enough to move the motor or the fan on the back of the motor do you think the motor will heat up? I dont think the OP is trying to do this.
as for the standby I dont know what does your manual say?

The drive will try to maintain zero speed. Look at the current the drive is using in this condition. The drive will actually hold the motor motionless. In other words, if you try to turn the shaft by hand you will not be able to. In a stopped condition, you can turn the shaft.

Just had this happen to me, operator did not put in schedule right such that the fans were told to run, but at zero hz. The drive was still putting out 30 amps of current even in that state (drive supplies 5 fan motors for a kiln). It will show as being at speed.

You must be careful to send a stop signal to the drive or you may have some overheating issues depending on your setup. As far as I know, the drive will stay like that as long as you give it the signal.

Mark

Yeah! it will not run even all the condition are true. if reference voltage would be 0volts.

It gets 0 v the drive wouldnt run. I mean even there is enable signal for fwd/bwd it will not run

Careful! The drive will technically be "running", the motor will just not be turning.

Assuming the drive is set up in vector control the drive will attempt to hold the motor at 0 speed.

As long as the motor is rated as vector duty the motor will not overheat.

Last edited:
Yes guys I do realize it will not run, but what does the drive show on the HIM? After a time does it show at Speed or does it go to Standby?

thanks

hazey

No it will sit there indefinately. The drive "thinks" that it is trying to hold the motor at zero speed and will attempt to do that ie: the shaft won't budge even if you try.

This is assuming again that the drive is set up in vector control.

Last edited:
I think thats what we call invertor duty down here right?

No. An inverter duty motor simply means the motor is designed to run off of a VFD. It will probably rely on a shaft fan for cooling.

A vector duty motor will have no shaft fan. It will either have no fan at all or be force fed by a blower. There are performance differences between the two as well.

A vector duty motor will run all day at 0 speed and full torque and not overheat. An inverter duty motor probably won't as it is relying on the shaft fan for cooling and if it ain't turning...

Down there you have "biscuits and gravy" We don't :)

Last edited:
up there you get rain we dont. LOL
thanks for the info sometimes i have trouble with others terms here on this fourm just wanted to be sure. I see lots of apps where someone has just thrown a drive on whatever motor is in place and not consider these things.

up there you get rain we dont. LOL
thanks for the info sometimes i have trouble with others terms here on this fourm just wanted to be sure. I see lots of apps where someone has just thrown a drive on whatever motor is in place and not consider these things.

That never happens up here. :whistle: