RSLogix IP assignment

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
I setup ethernet communication 6 or 7 times a year on Allen-Bradley PLCs and a few dozens of times on other brands. Not often enough to get my 10000 hours, but enough to be really perplexed when one doesn't work. Yesterday, I had a micrologix unit that was bootp enabled and i needed to assign an IP. Since i already had a serial connection and was using RSLogix online, it was trivial to choose channel configuration, channel 1, and uncheck bootp and check dhcp, thus allowing an old linksys router to assign the IP. Advantage? I can program wirelessly from my office machine and leave the PLC in the back shop.

So what went wrong? The PLC wouldn't accept the DHCP setup! I new it had to be power cycled etc. and i did all of that, but i couldn't get it to accept the change. I tried giving it a fixed IP address and that too wasn't accepted. AFter each power cycle it just came back with bootp and no IP address.

(I would have asked here what was wrong, but i didn't quite know what question to ask.) Finally, in some frustration, i changed the computer that was running RSLogix to a different unit - the one i had used the for the last time that i had to assign an IP. Viola - it worked perfectly? Why you asked? Because the 1st computer - the one that didn't work - was a netbook and it turns out that the channel 1, channel configuration screen is a fixed non-scrolled window that doesn't completely show up on the netbook. The part that doesn't show is the "OK" button at the bottom of the screen and there isn't any way to get to it. Sure had me baffled!

I have run into a few instances where the netbook has trouble running Legacy Software. Looks like RSLogix qualifies.

narlin

Narlin,

That is good info to keep in mind. One thing you might try on the netbook is to change the screen resolution to a higher setting, thus making the screens cover more area and hopefully show the OK button.