Red Lion_Crimson 2.0_Version mismatch

PSU

I have a customer with a Red Lion HMI (Crimson 2.0 installed).

I am able to connect with the HMI. However when the customer downloaded the Crimson 2.0 software he is getting version missmatch.

Does he (customer) have to register his software in order to communicate with HMI via the usb port?

Last edited:
Thanks. Isn't the Crimson 3.0 a later version than Crimson 2.0? The unit Installed at the custmer's plant has Crimson 2.0 installed on the HMI.

Last edited:
Thanks. Isn't the 3.0 a later version than 2.0?

Yes, but you think of C3 as a whole different animal from C2. It's not just a newer version, it is really a major change (like gonig from windows Vista to windwos 7)

Crimson 3.0 was a major leap from Crimson 2.0. This leap also corresponded with some significant hardware updates. You will find on most new units a ver2 hardware symbol. This means it will only be compatible with Crim3.0.

There have been many updates to Crimson 3.0 since it was released, and if you have done something in an earlier version of Crimson 3.0 then it can be incompatible with the newer builds.

I understand completely...but the system was intially installed last year with Crimson 2.0. I wanted to keep the system on the 2.0 version. I loaded the Crimson 2.0 on the Custmers computer and when we tried to verify the program through his lap top we got version mismatch. I do not understand why.

You might have missed my post #5.

See below on C2

http://www.redlion.net/Support/Downloads/SoftwareLibrary/Crimson2.html

Note: This is the last build of Crimson 2.0 to run under Windows 98.
To take full advantage of Crimson 2 enhancements, as well as to support newer
Red Lion products, please upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Not all Red Lion products are supported by this build.

Thank You... I had no idea there were that many changes or updates since last year. I was causing the issue with the Customer. His version was newer than the HMI's

I have gone into the commisioned program and the build was on Build 696 0f g310.bin

All I have to do is unistall the version we loaded on his laptop (as stated in previous version updates) and reinstall the version above (696). This should be easier than updating the unit.

Last edited:
Thank You... I had no idea there were that many changes or updates since last year. I was causing the issue with the Customer. His version was newer than the HMI's

If I update the latest version of 2.0 will it include all the other updates?

I believe so.

I hadn't even realized how many times they have updated C2 until you asked the questioned.

Is the version mismatch showing on the HMI or on the laptop?

If its on the HMI downloading a completely different file (such as a test program) and then reloading the working program should resolve the issue.

If its on the laptop that would mean that the file running on the laptop is different from the HMI or that the laptop is running a different version of C2 than the HMI currently has installed.

To clarify something that DamianInRochester mentioned in post #4

You are correct that the G308 and G310 units are now being sold has Version 2 hardware. However they are not restricted to Crimson 3. Any unit we sell is compatible with Crimson 2, but there are some limits on what is compatible with Crimson 3.

DaimanInRochester, Jeremy,

The HMI installed at the customers plant Crimson 2.0 Build 696. I downloaded the current Crimson 2.0 software on the customerl's laptop.

The mismatch occcurred when I was helping the customer hook up to the HMI.

It was my fault. I did not kknow I had to load the older version (696) on the customers laptop.

I am going back this week. I read that the newer version has to be uninstalled and the older version (696) installed.

I hope this will get him talking to the HMI.