laptop connection

maddog1

Hi, I a beginner and am wondering about connecting my laptop to either AB micrologix or Modicon 984 what protocal must I follow and if possible supply in detail answer as to how I access the program and actually program and or change program using modsoft/software.
Any and all help appreciated
Thanks MD1

Micrologix
ML1000: Depending on model - DF1 or DH485 (slave).
ML1200 and ML1500: DF1, DH485, Modbus RTU (slave), ASCII.

Modicon
Dont know much about this one, but various Modbus dialects seems obvious.

If you need only to connect to one PLC at a time, then DF1 seems to be the obvious choice for the Micrologix. For programming the Micrologix you need RSLogix500 and must use DF1 or DH485.

If you need to make some kind of networking between the PLCs and/or connect to more than one at a time from your laptop, then I would check if it is possible to connect everything on a Modbus network.
But I dont think that you can program the Micrologix over Modbus - only exchange data.