how to set up this loop

fulvio

Any suggestrions?
I have a chilled water line supply at 42 deg F and a by pass return temp varies. The return line and the by pass both have contro valves. If I set up the RTD to the return line as master to mantain the tempreatur at 54 Deg f How I will control the bypass line? I know I need a ratio controller that will work off the first PID but I am having problem to visualize this loop
the system is for building chiled water supply.
42 Deg F
TE--------------supply

the bypass X
----------------X return

this is what the sysstem look like. I have one TE for final temperature and the setpoint is at 54 Deg f. The X is the return valve and the by-pass valve, no flow meter. the final temperature is 54 Deg f the bypass is a normally open valve and the temperature range from 54 to 110.
I was thinking to add two more RTD to better control the mix temperature. If I set up the PID on the return valve then I could calculate the position of the by-pass based on:

CO(pid)*inlet temp+co(by-pass)*by-pass temp= final temperaure
so if the resturn valve is at 70% with the inlet at 42 F and the by-pass temp is at 82 I can calculate the by-pass valve position to CO2=((54-(co1*42))/82) =30%.
Is this correct or is there a better solution?? such as set up a PID on the main valve and a ratio on the second? but what should i use for PV, sp,?

the picture is in the post. The RTD is at the far left, in the middle before the RTD (about 3 feet) is the by-pass line with the normally open valve, on the far right is the return valve about 2 feet from the by-pass connection. Both valves have a 4-20 MA positioner. the supply temp. is at 42 and we are trying to contro lthe final temp at 54 Deg. F

"The picture is in the post" ????

Any suggestrions?
I have a chilled water line supply at 42 deg F and a by pass return temp varies. The return line and the by pass both have contro valves. If I set up the RTD to the return line as master to mantain the tempreatur at 54 Deg f How I will control the bypass line? I know I need a ratio controller that will work off the first PID but I am having problem to visualize this loop
the system is for building chiled water supply.
42 Deg F
TE--------------supply

the bypass X
----------------X return

this is what the sysstem look like. I have one TE for final temperature and the setpoint is at 54 Deg f. The X is the return valve and the by-pass valve, no flow meter. the final temperature is 54 Deg f the bypass is a normally open valve and the temperature range from 54 to 110.
I was thinking to add two more RTD to better control the mix temperature. If I set up the PID on the return valve then I could calculate the position of the by-pass based on:

CO(pid)*inlet temp+co(by-pass)*by-pass temp= final temperaure
so if the resturn valve is at 70% with the inlet at 42 F and the by-pass temp is at 82 I can calculate the by-pass valve position to CO2=((54-(co1*42))/82) =30%.
Is this correct or is there a better solution?? such as set up a PID on the main valve and a ratio on the second? but what should i use for PV, sp,?

:confused::rolleyes:o_O

OP, stay in one topic please, this is your previous thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=66592

I can somewhat see what OP's system is, something similar to
Supply 42degF >-------------->
|
|
|
V
|
|
Return <-------------------V--<

But I still can't understand where he want the Process Variable to be taken, before or after the bypass line enter the return.

even assume the above, the process doesn't make sense. I assume the chilled water is to keep temperature low in some other process, so the process variable should be the temperature of that OTHER process, not the temperature of the return line.

Lets try drawing the text picture again but this time using the forum tools that are provided for that purpose.

First go this forum help page http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/misc.php?do=bbcode You can also go to the bottom of this page and click the BBCode link to get to the BB code help page. Then scroll down to near the bottom where you can find instructions on how to use the ladder tag. Text placed between the two ladder and /ladder tags retains its spacing. Draw your picture and then submit the post.
(one word of caution, if you edit your post the ladder tags won't preserve the spacing, so make sure you don't need to edit).