Unitronics PLC

hugojose

I work at a wastewater facility and we need to replace our lift stations radio/monitoring system. We have about 45 stations which report to a Trihedral VTS HMI system.

We are considering Unitronics HMI/PLCs thru cellular GSM modems(SMS,texting). The Unitronics seems to support this communication. Has anybody had any experience with Unitronics before? Or would anybody suggest any other PLC that would support GSM/SMS?. We would like Automation Direct PLCs, but they don't seem to support SMS.

Any inputs is greatly appreciated.

It's a good fit. I used to use Automation Direct for all my low end stuff until I discovered Unitronics. Now I never use Automation Direct. As far as price VS performance it is tough to beat, and having the HMI/PLC software all combined makes things easier.

Software is free as well.

UNitronics is a solid value and they have their own support forum, like this one, but all Unitronics and the moderators are Unitronics employees.

You can receive forum responses from the people who actually wrote the source code.

I enjoy using Unitronics. In many ways the programming is far superior to other PLCs of any level, in other ways the software is weakly documented, and will drive you insane until you learn the secret trick.

I spent a few years getting fairly good with Unitronics, and learning the secret tricks and un documented features and now I am back to Step 7

The universe delights in our suffering it seems.