How to establish communication with the SLC 5/04?

rodrigoevaldo

I provide a service a client on your machine has an SLC 5 / 04 1747-L543.

This CPU has three communication ports:
1 RS232 (DB9)
1 DH + (post)
1 PROG. TERM (mini Din)

I used my full RS232 Null Modem Cable that always use to communicate with Rockwell PLCs, connected to the port DB9 and could not the establishment of a communication on the DF1 driver.

I noticed that the port PROG. TERM has the same shape of the connector cable Micrologix (1761-CBL-PM02). It also could not establish communication.

In the CPU LED is blinking the DH + and the equipment does not have HMI or SCADA.

How can I get online on this CPU? Is there a correct cable? Do I have the jumper terminals Vcc / VBB to restore factory settings? If this jumper do I lose the Ladder in your memory?

Note: I do not have the backup of the machine, the machine is very old and the customer does not have its documentation.

STOP !!!!!

If you default the controller the user program will be erased. Do not do this !

The Mini-DIN8 is a "Data Highway Plus" network port that is wired in parallel with the 3-pin DH+ port.

It is not RS-232. You cannot communicate with it using a MicroLogix cable. The cable looks like it will fit but it is not meant to fit and will resist your attempts.

Try to use the DF1 Full Duplex driver with the default settings: 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, SLC/MicroLogix/PanelView device type, and CRC error checking. Autobaud doesn't always work, especially with USB/RS232 converters.

The certain way to get online with this controller is with a Data Highway Plus interface. These are expensive and the older ones can be a little troublesome with modern Windows computers.

The most common interface for the past 15 years has been the 1784-PCMK card, with a 1784-PCM6 cable (or a 1784-PCM5 and 1784-CP7 adapter). These require a PCMCIA slot and Windows XP at the latest.

The modern interface is the 1784-U2DHP, which uses USB 2.0.

It may be more cost effective to simply have somebody who already has these tools come to your site and upload and document your system. I strongly recommend that you also fit an EEPROM module to the SLC-5/04 and load the current program into it, if that has not already been done.

Ken,
I have ran into the same problem and found out that if the comm configuration is not set right on download will render that port useless for pc to plc comm.