Win 2000 Pro Start Problem

driller

When I start my computer, before or after I put in my password and the computer starts, their's a picture that was downloaded off the internet that I can't remove. Also the same picture shows up when I shut down my computer. I have Win 2000 Pro, thanks "DRILLER"

Look in your windows folder for logos.sys (startup logo bmp) and logow.sys (shutdown bmp).

To make them original copy the files off your windows cd. To replace them with your own picture file, it must be the EXACT SAME SIZE, change the name and put in the windows folder to overwrite what is there.

Also look in startup to see if that picture is being loaded from there...right click Start then Explore...Start Menu opens then look in StartUp.

If I didnt explain this correctly please let me know.

Last edited:
Also, check into your "active desktop" setup.

Traditionally, Windows (Win 3.0-Win95) used bitmaps only for desktop backgrounds. What I've seen happen since they decided to add GIF, JPEG, Etc. to the list of acceptable files, is that the LAST bitmap you selected for your desktop will appear until Windows loads the drivers to paste your current background over it.

If you can get through that run-on sentence, you should be clever enough to fix the problem. The quick and dirty method is to find the file you don't want to see and move/rename it. Out of sight, out of mind. Otherwise, I think you may end up digging in the registry...

AK

If the picture is displayed at the same time as the login box. Then its this register value that you have to delete. HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper