Need tips for good HMI solutions!!

SweetGinger

Hi All on this forum, this is my first message.

I`m an embedded engineer and made many different nodes that communicate using Modbus RTU (RS485).

Before I made small applications using C# to interact with users. However, C# is time consuming if you want to have nice, good looking interface.

Since I now have an new (quite large) project I started to look around for HMI's software.
I tried some out and see that there are many thinks to consider/compare to choose for an HMI manufacture. E.g. Price, tags, visual available graphics, remote management, cloud HMI etc.

So I hope that someone can give me some good HMI vendors that can comply to my following demands:

- Can be run on a PC (Windows/Linux/own OS) (see below why)
- Have decent and good looking bargraps, indicators, buttons
- Good price ( less than 1000$ for each ship)

The ships are always capable of an Internet connection.
The data shown must be remote monitored (no controls needed, only view).
There will be an off-site manager that monitors the power consumption, engine events, speed and location.
This manager uses the data to be sure that there is the most efficient power usage throughout the journey.

The HMI's will be run on maritime ships.
Since there are many things to consider for a good monitor in maritime, it's better to have the software working on a PC or something with HDMI or VGA out.
By doing so, we have more freedom in choosing the right monitor.

Current HMI's I've in focus but not tried yet:

1. WinCC
  2. Maple Systems (but only available on HMI panels, not PC)
  3. iX developer (Beijer Electronics)
  4. InstantHMI (cloud HMI? Sounds promising)
  5. Iconics
  6. DAQFactory SCADA
Currently I tried out:

1. PanelExpress
  2. Phoenix PLC using integrated WebServer
PanelExpress is really cheap (400$ unlimited tags) and offers lot of communication modes (including ModbusRTU) but has only simple graphics.

Can anyone please advice me?

Hello,

No offense taken.

PeakHMI also includes the ability to create all the graphic primitives, lines, rectangles, gradient fills, etc., as well as importing several file formats providing the user the tools to create any graphics needed.

Since you have knowledge of C#, you may be interested in looking at AdvancedHMI. It currently does not have a driver for ModbudRTU, but that will probably be added by years end.

Are you looking for a single screen, or multiple screens throughout the vessel ?

Do you need to log data for future analysis and historical trends ?

Does the hardware need to be certified for marine use ?

How many languages will the system need to display ?

Are there any conventional industrial PLCs involved, or only your RS-485 Modbus RTU devices ?

I'm working on Red Lion Crimson 3 and on Inductive Automation Ignition projects right now and both of them deserve consideration for your application.

Red Lion will be coming out with a new "Productivity Station" version of their DataStation that will have a DVI output, so you can connect it to whatever display you wish.

Ignition is a browser-launched Java application, so your viewing terminals can be any general-purpose PC or mobile device that can connect to the ship's network.

Are you looking for a single screen, or multiple screens throughout the vessel ?

Triple screen on single location. No other monitors required on the vessel

Do you need to log data for future analysis and historical trends ?

Yes

Does the hardware need to be certified for marine use ?

No

How many languages will the system need to display ?

Single language, English

Are there any conventional industrial PLCs involved, or only your RS-485 Modbus RTU devices ?

Conventional devices as well. Some Phoenix PLC's, but they will be equipped with a Modbus interface (or any other if that suits better with the HMI).

I'm working on Red Lion Crimson 3 and on Inductive Automation Ignition projects right now and both of them deserve consideration for your application.

I've read both manufactures before but did not try it yet. The ignition platform really sounds promising. Can't tell how their graphics look like however, so have to try the demo first.
I see their price is 10k for the Workx setup. Do you know if this is a single seat license or can it be used on unlimited PC's / end users?

Red Lion also looks promising, especially their data station plus. Same there for the graphics, I cannot determine their quality. The price however sounds very promising for what they offer.

Unfortunately I must made my decision real quick. I got less than 3 weeks for the initial demo presentation :(.

I can't speak to the Ignition SCADA, but I do know that the Red Lion Crimson 3.0 is a free Download if you want to try it out.

Stu....

I can't speak to the Ignition SCADA, but I do know that the Red Lion Crimson 3.0 is a free Download if you want to try it out.

Stu....

Just ran the demo of Ignition for half an hour. From their documentation and installation they only support Modbus TCP. A solution would be to buy a ModbusRTU to TCP converter. Don't have that currently with me to test.

They have a big symbol library but the panel meters is just one, simple, basic, functional meter. I cannot markup the meter. I think this piece of software is excellent for functional SCADA with remote controlling as well (worked too very easy).

Yesterday I tried iX Developer from Beijer Electronics. Their graphics and layout are really great to see. The platform was very easy to use and setup. I wonder what their prices are.

I now will look into more detail with RedLion.

Last edited:
"Triple Screen" ? Do you mean like three monitors running from a single PC, so as to form a very large desktop ?

Or do you mean three separate computers, each with one monitor ?

If you intend to have a spread desktop environment, all of the conventional "HMI" devices are disqualified. Many PC-based HMI's don't work very well across a spread desktop either (I'm looking at you, FactoryTalk View).

The issue of database storage is a major deal; it's not trivial to add historical databases and trending to an "HMI" type software package. Typically a system that has good database connectivity is more of a "SCADA" software package and you're looking at higher purchase prices.

"Triple Screen" ? Do you mean like three monitors running from a single PC, so as to form a very large desktop ?

Or do you mean three separate computers, each with one monitor ?

If you intend to have a spread desktop environment, all of the conventional "HMI" devices are disqualified. Many PC-based HMI's don't work very well across a spread desktop either (I'm looking at you, FactoryTalk View).

The issue of database storage is a major deal; it's not trivial to add historical databases and trending to an "HMI" type software package. Typically a system that has good database connectivity is more of a "SCADA" software package and you're looking at higher purchase prices.

I need to use 3 monitors. It depends on the software ability if we will use 3 separate PC's or 1 pc with 3 monitors.

And about the data storage. I indeed need it for the system. But it doesn't need to be integrated into the HMI display. The end-user have no interest in seeing the historical data. It is used only for technicians in case of a failure. To see what might have caused it.

I like like the HMI's form Comfile Tech and they are designed to be use indoors and doors, which is perfect for ships. One thing that I like, they are easy to use and the software is free and it also works with Modbus.

Here is the website Comfile Tech at cubloc.com and watch the demo video on the HMI's