Why my RSview can't talk with Rslinx?

Shawn Yi

S
Hi All masters,

Right now I'm learning Rsview32. The problem is my Rslogix 500 can talk with my SLC 5/02 PLC, but my Rsview 32 can't.

When I configure the Channel and Tags, Rsview32 can show me the node. Than mean Rsview 32 can seen SLC 5/02 PLC through Rslinx, but when I set up a tag, they show me a ERROR in Tag database.
That mean Rsview 32 can't talk with PLC?

My OS is windows 2000 advanced server. CPU is 455 PIII. Ram 256M.

Thanks.

Shawn

here’s a little more detail on what Bob O is saying ...

this is what is PROBABLY happening:

you have RSLinx LITE ... this version is free and comes with all RSLogix packages ... it has just enough horsepower to take care of all programming tasks ... but nothing else ...

for RSView you need a version of RSLinx better than the LITE version ... it must be DDE/OPC compliant ... in other words, it must be able to communicate using TOPICS ... RSLinx LITE cannot do this ...

unfortunately, all versions of RSLinx BEYOND the LITE version are NOT free ... they will come with a master key floppy disk ... and a serial number ... and a price tag ... they cost money ...

sorry ... but if this IS your problem and you want to fix it legally, you’ll need to contact a Rockwell distributor and buy a copy of RSLinx ...

in the meantime ... it’s easy to fool RSView into thinking that the SLC is connected ... just DISABLE the channel ... then put a temporary slide or a numeric entry field on the graphics window ... use this “dummy” input to change the value of the tag ... you can make tanks fill up ... things turn colors ... etc. ... in other words, you don’t really need to talk to the SLC until you want to connect to the real world ... in fact, don’t even set up a communications channel at all if you’re just playing around ... just set all of your tags up as MEMORY tags rather than DEVICE tags ...

finally, if you DO have a DDE/OPC compliant version of RSLinx, post again with more details of how you’ve set up the topics, channels, nodes, etc. ... I’m sure someone here can get you going ...

You two are right.

I'm using a Rslinx Lite version. Thank you very much.

Shawn