Thinking about Freelancing

Greetings All!

Well, after 12 years of service, and 11 years on PLCs.net, I can finally say that the "major North American power tools manufacturer" I work for is Stanley Black & Decker, formerly just Black & Decker, and now, formerly in Tampa Florida. For last week we were notified our plant will be closing at the end of next year. It's public knowledge, so I'm not disclosing anything. And no, I still can't get you a free drill, now more-so than ever :)

Now for all that my job is vanishing, I must confess, they're being a class act about it. The only other company I worked at that shut down gave us 6 weeks notice, and made no bones about being forced to do so by state law. Stanley is giving more than a year's warning, and a promise that no layoffs will begin until after the first of the year - they're not wanting to be the Grinch, methinks. And there's some nice incentives to ride it down, even if I do feel like the orchestra on the Titanic.

Anyhow, I figure I've got some time to think about my next move. I've done some freelance side jobs in the past, and my home situation is pretty stable right now, so I'm giving some serious thought to doing it full-time.

My question is - what's the freelance environment like out there right now? If you run your own shop, are you getting enough work? I'm particularly interested in Florida and southeast US, but any information is welcome.

Thanks!

TM

I'm in Canada and I've been doing freelance for 7-1/2 years and I have to say this year I've worked more than I ever have in the past. That being said my profits aren't any higher than previous years. I'm finding, with my customer base at least, that I am having to work harder for my money but there is still plenty of work. I have turned down several jobs this year simply because I haven't had the time to do them.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide. Freelance can be very rewarding but it has its challenges as well. I for one love it and can't imagine going back to working for someone else.

Tim I don't have a lot of history being out on my own so I can't say what is was like a few years ago. I am just finishing the first full year of working for myself (OK really my wife and Kids). I couldn't be happier.If next year is like this I will be happy.

The best things about it (provided you have work) are
1) No boss except she who must be obeyed.
2) No pleading for a pay rise - if you make it its yours (except tax) - if you do not make it the same applies.
3) You can say no to a job - if you have enough work you do not have to put up with idiots.
3) If you can get enough work it is really good to say no to rubbish jobs.
4) You can buy quality tools and other equipment that will perfom the job faster/better and save you time - no getting supplied with 'CCC' (cheap Chinese c**p) that falls over, explodes, falls apart, runs out of power all the time because of the garbage batteries they use, etc.
The not so good bits
1) No time to yourself - including weekends - when in full flight.
2) B****y paperwork!
3) You suddenly realise you have to pay for everything - public liability insurance, product liability insurance, workcover or at least insurance to cover you if you are sick or injured so you still have some money coming in the door, fuel, car, phone, office and/or factory rent, accountant, lost time, etc.
4) Chasing money - they want you in a hurry, work you long hours to get the job done ao they can make and sell goods/services as quickly as possible and then want to pay you 60 days.
5) Invariably you have stuff outstanding that you have already paid for yourself, airline tickets, car rental, accomodation. Better if you can get your client to pay for that - I often do but not for car rental as I am well over 6 foot tall and do not fit into cheap Hyundai Getz car rentals. In fact I have trouble getting in and out of an Audi A6. I also make sure I have the choice of accomodation, even if the client is paying for it. Been put up in some 'classy' accomodation in the past because it was cheap.

I can only recommend you have a go - the best thing I ever did - did it at age 61 as well. Busier than I have ever been in my life, making good dough, no time to myself, partner is as bad so no friction - both workaholics.

Best advice - is you can afford it buy good stuff that will be reliable and save you time and money. I would rather spend a bit more, get out of the job quicker and move on to the next job and make some more money.

One of the best things I did was buy a rteally powerfull computer, 8 threads, GTX460 video card, mirror RAID hard drives, high speed hard drives, Windows 7 x 64 bit, 12 GIG of triple threaded high speed RAM, Antec gamers case with the biggest fans you have ever seen in a desktop - a gamers delight in fact. That coupled with a Dell 30" really high res monitor (2550 x 1600) for CAD and away I go.

Just bought a new Dell XPS laptop with the high res (1920x1080) screen, Quad processor, 8 threads, 8 GIG Ram, Windows 7 x 64 bit and when it gets going it flies. No waiting long even for Siemens software to save files all over the hard drive (inside a vitual box of course).

While I do not work for myself right now I have noticed an uptick in new jobs, alot of them in the Southeast.

Couple of things I would suggest though. Start banking money right now. As Bob said it is ATLEAST 60 days before you get paid/reimbursed. Also good tools are a must, so is a credit card. Traveling to jobs always raises suprises.

One of my biggest regret from when I did work for myself was my documentation of my jobs. Keep an external hard drive (that you have a backup of) handy so you can look at how you programed certain tasks before. This will really save you time and heaches later. Also you can never have to many manuals on your computer. My manuals are in the several gig range. You just never know what you will run across.

Also, most of your jobs are going to come from referal. Keep track of where the other guys you are working with now scatter to. They may be able to get you in the door of wherever they land at.

Busier than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs around here, the talent pool in the rust belt disappeared when the economy tanked several years ago, so now with the autos tooling up for new products there has been a shortage these last 2 years. Its so bad engineering students (aka GMI / Kettering) aren't available either. Good for us contractors but it hurts to turn work away.

Good luck to you! I'm glad that your employer decided to close down "the right way". Stay active here!