WinAC & OPC data

This is what OPC DX was meant for: Transferring data directly between OPC Servers. But OPC DX is dead. Instead we have OPC UA which should allow the same and much more. Simatic Net should be OPC UA compliant, what about the OPC Server for the Cognex camera ?
Personally I have no experience with OPC UA, but it holds a lot of promise.

If the Cognex OPC server does not have OPC UA, you may have to go via OPC DA (the current standard) and have some OPC DA Client software transfer data between the two OPC DA Servers.
I think that OPC Datahub and also IA's Ignition can do OPC DA to OPC DA datatransfer.

I have also done datatransfers in WinCC Flex RT by setting up two connections and transferring data from tags to tags by "OnChange" event. Not sure if it is reliable enough for a critical application though.

I've been using the OPC server from Cognex going into WinCC Flexible but it is giving me problems. Some of the variables going to the camera are in the recipe in flexible. When changing recipes it can take 30-40 seconds for the recipe data to update. I see communication erros in the OPC server log. I thought moving the OPC data over to the plc could fix some of these problems. However I don't think it will be as easy to do as I had hoped.