A dumb question...plc & welding....

PSpal

It's surely a dumb question....There was some problem in the mechanical robotic arm structure of some of our system and mech group have to have welding job carried out at the field itself...I have isolated ground terminal of PLC, removed controller..confirm welding earthing point is within 10 feet.. not possible to make it shorter.....anything more is required. The chessis is safe??I/O cards? That much safety is really required???

The MOST important thing is that there is a clear and low resistance path between the welders ground lead and the part(s) being welded.

the main problem with welding is the return current of the welder.
it sounds that you have taken all the safety steps.
however if you are concerned with other points then use 'car battery jumper leads' to ensure that the high currents can not be carried by the circuit earths of your system.

flex conduit

The MOST important thing is that there is a clear and low resistance path between the welders ground lead and the part(s) being welded.

The way you'll know that you DON'T is that flex conduit will start to melt or catch fire. They are not very big "wires", and will take the heat, if the welder is clipped off to somewhere only gounded by the flex conduit fittings.
I know, because I've seen it happen. Not pretty.

The way you'll know that you DON'T is that flex conduit will start to melt or catch fire. They are not very big "wires", and will take the heat, if the welder is clipped off to somewhere only gounded by the flex conduit fittings.
I know, because I've seen it happen. Not pretty.

Seen that happen a lot myself. Also like it when people try to cut a floor cover with a cutting torch and don't bother to see what it is actually covering.

Welders are notorious for clipping their ground lead on anything that looks like it is grounded, even if it is painted. My suggestion is to make sure that where they ground is CLEAN BARE metal. Not over paint or rust or anything like that. I always have them wire brush it at a minimum.

It's surely a dumb question....There was some problem in the mechanical robotic arm structure of some of our system and mech group have to have welding job carried out at the field itself...I have isolated ground terminal of PLC, removed controller..confirm welding earthing point is within 10 feet.. not possible to make it shorter.....anything more is required. The chessis is safe??I/O cards? That much safety is really required???

Put the ground lead within one foot of where you are welding. If you have ot use a stud welded in or take a piece of scrap and weld as close to weld area as possible. MINIMIZE weld current path thru machine components including
BEARINGS
WIRE ROPE
CONDUIT

I am grateful for welders screwups for two reasons
1. Increased job security
2. I learn from their mistake and not repeat it on my equipment.

Dan Bentler