Slow Panelview

Nick.Ferguson

I have a PV 1000 Plus commucating with a SLC 5/04 via DH+ with a "Blue Hose". My problem is when a value or button is used in the PV it take close to a count of 3 before it is displayed back to the screen? I have been trying to figure this one out and have not had any luck. To answer some questions I do not think it is a scan time issue because this is an upgrade not a complete new install ( was PV 1000 standard) and there was no time issues with the standard. Any help where to look that I have over looked
Thank you

we have the same problem with ours we were informed it is because we use DH+ it is apparently the the tag base and how they are scanned it is designed to work with ethernet

First, take a look at the Update Rate of the Displays in the PV+ application. The default is 1 second, which depending on scantime and when exactly you push the button, can end up looking like 2+ seconds for updates of a value you've just written to the controller.

Second, can you estimate how busy the DH+ network is ? Is there a lot of MSG traffic or a lot of nodes ? DH+ analyzers might be overkill, but some careful testing of MSG traffic completion times might give you a baseline of performance.

Because DH+ is a token-passing network, it necessarily slows down as the load increases. It never "locks up" or loses data: the network application timeouts are the determining factor in detecting a "communication failure".

In addition to what Ken said, it is important to understand the implication of how many nodes you have on the network. This negative impact on responsiveness increases geometrically with the number of nodes. Another big big deal with DH+ is keeping the packets organized by carefully choosing and using the fewest possible number of groups of continuous addresses for each of your HMI screens and for your alarming structure.

If you have (in my experience) about 7 nodes or more, you want to be darn sure that your PV+ isn't reading from scattered addresses among multiple files unless absolutely necessary, and that your carefully monitor all the settings and diagnostic information because you are likely to be near the deep drop off in performance.

I have had a couple of 14 node networks that were okay, until we upgrade an HMI from a Nematron reading/writing to a list of only ten consecutive words per page every 1/2 second and replaced it with one with several hundreds of tags in groups all over the place in addition to fast settings for refresh rates.

All the existing HMI's on that network slowed down a little bit. On that system we split the network with a 1784-PKTX-D to get the performance back.

Ken & OkiePC,
Load should not be a problem because this network only has the PLC and the PV on it. Ken the upload rate sounds like a good place to start, I going to look for it, but if you get a chance can you tell me were to find that at. Thank you guys for the help

The update rate is a property of the Display window itself; right-click on an empty part off the screen and select "Properties" and you'll get the dialog to set properties like the window number, background color, size, and Update Rate.

What Ken meant to say was right click and select "Display Settings" (first option). You will see the update rate in the lower left corner.

OT: conversation in breakroom when I worked for Goodyear.

I was talking to a coroporate electrical engineer who had been all over the world doing PLC electrical design and starups for 20 years.

I was tellin him how much I liked DH+ and how many problems I had found that didn't even seem to bother it like missing resistors, incorrect grounding and terrible routing.

I had 36 complex machines with DH+ routed in 6 x 6 square raceway all around the machine in a trapezoid shape and 6 inches away another one above it in parallel. The top one was supposed to be control wiring so it was packed completely full of 120v solenoid coil wires and neutrals, and switch panel connections, and cam switch feedback, and resolvers and encoders and DH+ and whatever DC drive leads that wouldn't fit in the 480v raceway right beneath, yeah DH+ and RIO is the cat's meow.

He grinned and proceeded to tell me that was in a chemical batching plant working on a PLC 5/80 for the complaint of intermittent freezing of the data . He found a terminal strip where they had tied the shield to a white wire next to some 120 wires, so he grabbed the shield to lift it and connect it to the shield wire of the outgoing DH+ wire, and he said it "lit me up". He found 110vac to ground on the DH+ shield and it was still working. Just "been slow for a few weeks now."...