PLC recommandation

captain_is

Hi guys,

I need some recommandation from people more experienced than me for a PLC which can store data read from some energy meters locally. It basically needs some non-volatile memory attached to it (flash or eeprom.

It's preferable to be siemens or schneider. Can you guide me to a model? I'm also searching but these days there are a lot of models, and i'm not so experienced and it's really hard to make a choice based on performance, price, etc.

Any input is valuable.
Thanks in advance!

If you prefer siemens or schneider, can you contact a representative from each company to look at your application and reccommend a system?

Which protocol(s) do you intend to use?

Kalle

I need to use Modbus over RS-485.
I don't know now exactly how much the data is, i mean in term of bytes, kb.
I know that with a plc will be read a couple of energy metes from Algodue, and the data from those need to be kept locally in a non-volatile memory for a maximum of a week or so..
I'm looking for a hint, not necessarily a solution, to a model of plc that can suport local non-volatile memory.

Thanks for your responses!

There's a whole lot of questions to be able to guide you...

1) How much data?
2) How often?
3) How long do you want to store it?
4) Data format?

Honestly, if you have very much data, you're probably going to want to be using a PC, not a PLC.

Like OZEE said -> PLC for momentary data and PC with Scada app for logging your data and displaying curvers or counters.
The cheapest way - i was using a moment ago Siemens S7 PLC with OPC and MS excel as a log on a PC :)

I need to use Modbus over RS-485.
I don't know now exactly how much the data is, i mean in term of bytes, kb.
I know that with a plc will be read a couple of energy metes from Algodue, and the data from those need to be kept locally in a non-volatile memory for a maximum of a week or so..
I'm looking for a hint, not necessarily a solution, to a model of plc that can suport local non-volatile memory.

Thanks for your responses!

Have a look at the Vipa 314-2BG03. Prog with Step7. It can act as Modbus RTU master (RS485), and you can get data from it to a topsystem with S7/TCPIP.

Kalle

How about the new S7-1200. It is cheap, can be a Modbus master and it will log data to an SD card. SD card can be as big as 24MB which would hold about 1.5million floating point values. You have to use a Siemens card which will cost you more than the PLC.