PLC wishlist

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Since we again have a post for "favorite plcs", I thought it might be time to start a thread on what new features we would like to see in the near future in automation.

As for me, I would really like to go-online with a wireless connection. I dream of the day when I don't have to be at the mercy of where I connect to watch what's going on. To go a step further, how about programming software for a PDA and a wireless connection for total mobility. That would be so nice.

Also while I'm wishing, I'd like to use software that recognizes voice commands. Since I can surf the web with voice commands, why not build rungs with it?

Just dreaming,

Jeff

I would really like to go-online with a wireless connection. I dream of the day when I don't have to be at the mercy of where I connect to watch what's going on.
You don't have to wait for that. If your PLC can connect to ethernet, then hook it up with some 802.11b hardware and you're away.
To go a step further, how about programming software for a PDA and a wireless connection for total mobility.
Some years back AB put a version of RSLogix500 on the H-P Jornada - I don't think it caught on.

...dream on

My wish is simple. :D

ONE standard programming cable for
all PLC's and related devices.

I have a file cabinet drawer
filled with various cables.

Looks like a nest of snakes in there!

A truly universal communications protocol, for both serial and ethernet. I mean, come on manufacturers! Guys from all over the world can exchange very complex thoughts in real time on this forum - can't you put aside your petty insignificant competitive rivalries and let us exchange simple bits and decimal information!

Oh, and an analog card with a digital readout that indicates channel readings from 0 to 100%. A rotary switch to select the channel that you can use without a stinking micro screw driver would be nice too!

Oh yeah - plug in terminal blocks that have numbers on each screw, so I don't have to fiddle around counting or such to make sure I'm terminating in the right spot.

And, while your at it, use auto-sensing for 120 VAC or 230 VAC and so on. After all, a $75 power supply can do that!

And yes, besides all of that, I agree with AllenF. There is no damn excuse for not using a simple null modem cable to hook up any RS-232 connection!

And, as long as you got me going, how about ................

Last edited:
As for me, I would really like to go-online with a wireless connection. I dream of the day when I don't have to be at the mercy of where I connect to watch what's going on.

Like Gerry said, you can do that already. In fact, I bought a couple of ethernet cards on Ebay, and if I ever have to work on a system that doesn't have ethernet capability, I'll just throw that card on the rack for the duration of the project, and remove it when I leave (I also carry a Linksys access point with me). The increased productivity of being truly portable is well worth the effort.

To go a step further, how about programming software for a PDA and a wireless connection for total mobility.

I probably wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a PDA device to program with, but the tablet computers are starting to get more powerful. I plan on using one to run a portable HMI, but I suppose it could be used for programming too.

I have a file cabinet drawer
filled with various cables. Looks like a nest of snakes in there!

I had that problem for years, and I probably have 50 different cables and connectors now. In my old age, I even forget what some of them are used for. :) So, I bought a box of one-gallon ziplock plastic bags, printed some labels, and it straightened everything out. Now if I have to go on trip, I just reach in the box and grab what I need without it being all tangled up.

I agree that programming cables are freaking nightmare.
It's something that should be standardized not only from
harware side (like "popular" DB25 RS232 connectors) but
software as well. Who likes to use cables with brick
or attachmets like PIC (Allen Bradley) or CIF (Omron) or
SC09 (Mitsubishi). Each CPU should come with one ethernet
and one RS232 capable port.
I prefer modular PLCs without rack. Rack is just another
expence AND limitation.

At the top of my wish list is a USB connection for all PLCs. It is fast and there are NO issues about having the right or wrong cable available.
Omron toolbus connection runs at 115 k these days and is great to use, fast reliable etc. It is mooted that they have USB on the way.
If it happens, USB and 115 k connection will be lovely to use for monitoring, downloading, on line programming.
Come on all you manufacturers, give us USB. It is universal, plug and pray etc. One cable fits all could be on the way.
Ethernet is not really the way to go because manufacturers, unfortunately, all have different ways of implementing it. Universal USB would give them all an opportunity to get it right, for once.
beerchug

Serial--> USB---> What's Next?

I agree with the USB idea, Bob, but who knows what will replace USB in the future?... utoh

Hopefully we won't have to tell people "Make sure you get a USB port on your new laptop", just like we're saying about serial ports right now!... :D

Built in OPC Server

Many PLC brands now have ethernet modules, but if you want to connect your HMI, Data Historian, etc etc, you still need to buy I/O server software. On my wishlist would be an ethernet module with a built-in OPC server.

PLC's come with a built-in RS-232 port as well as 10/100 Ethernet port for programming purposes; and all PLC's suppliers provide free programming software.

puedo ser?

Many PLCs already come with RS232 ports built in. With the prices they charge for Ethernet, unfortunately a built in Ethernet port would probably make PLCs far too expensive.
Free software is, overall, a pipe dream. I have no problem paying reasoanable prices for good software. It does cost a lot of money to develop and is generally not developed by the PLC company but a software house. This means that they have to pay for it and make a profit selling it to us. I do object to paying for bad software. I could name a few but will resist the temptation. Software was covered extensively in another topic on this forum.
beerchug

USB is fine for programming single PLC when you are right there
in front of it - and that's where the USB magic ends (please let
me know if you have different experience).
Ports are precious and that's why they should be universal.

I am primarily interested in connection that offers more - cheap
and long cables, simple connectors so you can easily make your
own cables when needed, multiple nodes support etc.
This is why ethernet is so cool.

Also I hate to see unit with some fancy connectors that you
cannot buy separately using common channels.
RS232 is good for large existing base of hardware that
supports it - barcode scanners, HMIs, modems, vision systems,
tensors and many many more. If only everyone would make it DB9.
It is amazing how many are still using DB25, few are using RJ11
which doesn't offer handshaking. Reason for RS232 popularity is
simple data exchange using plain ASCII.

PLC Wish List

While we are standardizing, lets make the software interface the same for all PLC's also. IEC 61131 is a start but lets include a mutual file format "in" the PLC. Yes, I want to use the same software for any PLC.
This is not my only hopeless dream.

panicmode, it depends on the PLC you are using. Whenever possible I use Omron CJ1 or CS1 PLCs with Controller Link as the network. I then enable "toolbus", a pass through communications system, that uses the connected PLC as a port to the whole network. With CX-Programmer, I can then communicate with every PLC on the network (invariably 8 or 9).
These communications are at 155k. Controller Link runs at 2 megs on a twisted pair. I can then open up each and every program and "flip" between them. CX-Programmer also allows me to break the screen into 4 windows with a different section of program running in each window. The "watch" (monitoring) window allows me to display values from each and every PLC in the same window at the same time.
These PLCs normally are supplied with a programming port, that uses a special cable, and a serial port, DB9, but the cable is not a standard serial or modem cable. It has a special pinout but fully published and easily wired. Toolbus is available through either port. If a HMI is required, an inboard serial card is available at low cost. This can be purchased wit 2 x RS232 or 1 x RS232 and 1 x RS422/485 port. For small cost you have 3 serial ports (DB9). If more are required, a rack serial card is available in the same combinations. I have had 2 laptops connected to the same PLC before today.These are real serial communications machines.
I do not have to use or desire to use expensive Ethernet.
As for common compiled code in PLCs, I do not believe that will ever happen. Manufacturers use different processors for different reasons and the compile needs to be different for that reason alone. Also consider that if all PLCs were the same, there would be no innivation in development by manufacturers to develop new product with new more powerful features. We would then have no choice. IEC software is really only a "look and feel" type of specification and the intent is not to have transportable code but have the programming languages similar in design and use.
Thankfully, all manufacturers are implementing the languages in different ways and diffenet brands of PLC process the instruction in different ways. This allows "look and feel" similarities between brands but some software implementations are much better than others. I cannot possibly imagine using software that is "click, drag and drop" to develop any decent sized program. Slow, tedious and will give you RSI from the mouse. Shortcut keys anytime thanks.
beerchug