Using WW to send print file to label printer

ChrisP

We've got a site that want to have us set up several buttons on a screen in Wonderware 9.5. The buttons would send a different print command to the label printer on the production line based on what product is being produced. The printer is networked and not directly connected to a WW station. We basically need to send an ASCII code to the printer so it will produce the right barcode. Would someone clue me in the best way to make this happen? I am guessing to that we would use an action script that would send the ascii file to the printer, but I don't know how to do that with their scripts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know that I have an answer for you, but I'll be watching for other responses.

I believe that to start, you need to create an Access Name in WW. The problem is that to create the access name, you will need an IOServer (driver) application that does the communication. ie to talk to an AB PLC, you need to use ABTCP as the application. Essentially, ABTCP does all the work. I think you need to find or create such a driver for your application. There are some programs out there to help you do this (KEPware???), but I don't think they are free. The labeller mfg may have something for you to use. I'm sure others will chime in with more educated explanations.

I had two similar projects - one with an inkjet barcode printer and one with a zebra label printer.

For the barcode printer, I wired the printer to my PLC serial port and used the PLC to send the commands. I took awhile to get it working right, but in the end, it didn't take much code.

For the zebra label printer, I needed to send a text file as a long string to the printer. I got some help writing a VB app that sent the test string to the printer. In a WonderWare action script, I just called the VB executable with some input parameters.

Don't know if any of that helps. Good luck.

Done this a few times and it's pretty straight forward.

I have always ended up using Omniserver (from Software Toolbox) as the server/driver for communicating to serial/ethernet devices that are not covered by Wonderwares' own server range.

I did try Wonderwares' own RPM (Rapid Protocol Modeller) a few years back but IIRC it had issues with buffering messages and I ended up doing the job with Omniserver.