Send data thru Proface HMI using GP PRO-EX

MacroPc

Hi guys, I'm moving on in my training and my next goal is to learn how to make my hmi and plc communicate. I have an idea of how it should be set up but cant figure it out. I'm using a Proface LT4301M HMI and a TRIO Flex 6 Nano PLC. The nano is connected to a drive that controls a kollmorgen servo (thanks to the guys that helped me with that!). Everything is connected via ethernet and an ethernet hub.

We use CAN in our machines so thats what I'm trying to use with this. I have a sensor wired into an input on the HMI and it successfully reads when sensor is triggered (have it just turning a lamp on). What I need to do is send that bit to my plc when the sensor triggers. The HMI has 2 ethernet/cat ports (one is labelled CAN) and both are connected to the ethernet hub.

Goal is to simply spin the servo whenever the sensor is triggered. I think its a good way for me to practice the communications, learn the software better and how to manipulate servo.

Thanks guys!

When you create your new project, you will need to select, on the second "Device/PLC" screen, a driver for your PLC. This tells the HMI how to talk to the PLC.

Once you have the comms sorted, you access a device on the PLC by adding some object to the screen you are creating, then linking it to the appropriate device on the PLC.

So let's say you go to "Parts" menu, select Data Display, then Numeric Display, and place a numeric on your screen. You would link that then to (say) [PLC1]D0101 to link to the data register D101 on a Mitsubishi PLC. The HMI will then display the value of the number in D101.

If you wanted an indicator for your sensor, you might go to "Parts -> Switch Lamp -> Lamp" to create an indicator. then link that to the device on your PLC where that signal appearss.

It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

Hmm, I dont see TRIO in the list of manufacturers. I couldnt find anything on their website to download an addon or anything... Ideas?

EDIT: I found another program our old PC guy made, hes using the schneider device an he has it labeled TRIO P600 so it looks like I can use that one, maybe?

Last edited:
I only use Profaces with Mitsubishi PLCs, so I'm afraid I cannot help with specifics about other types of PLCs.

Maybe someone else knows?