RSLogix 5000 Rev19.01/Online Project Tree I/O Configuration

dmargineau

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it just me or the "refreshing" of the expanded I/O Configuration folder when scrolling it online with Logix 5000 Rev19.01 is hugely annoying?!:unsure:
It will take up to two seconds for "two inches" of I/O to show up!!:whistle:
"Auto Hiding" the Controller Organizer feature is extremely snail paced also, especially when the I/O tree is not collapsed!!:confused:
Copies of the software are running on two upper tier PCs with all the bells and whistles and no, they dont't have ten project files online with the corresponding CPUs (well, mostly not...;))
Has anyone out there found any solutions for the above mentioned nuisances, or I should just wait for Rev 19.02?!

Anticipatedly, thanks.

Last edited:
I'm using the same version, but never encounter anything such.

Check your "Task Manager" -> "Process" and see which application is sucking your CPU usage and memory resources. Maybe stopping that application may help. Or it is some malware, just a thought.

I've never seen something like that.

The only thing I've seen behave "super slow" in RSLogix 5000 is the "Start Page" but that's done in Flash and can be subject to a lot of OS/Adobe revision and configuration issues.

The I/O tree is a core item in RSLogix 5000, but it's animated by the status of the connections so I can see why it might update based on time.

Do you have a particularly large project ? Which CPU types are you using ?

I've never seen something like that.

The only thing I've seen behave "super slow" in RSLogix 5000 is the "Start Page" but that's done in Flash and can be subject to a lot of OS/Adobe revision and configuration issues.

The I/O tree is a core item in RSLogix 5000, but it's animated by the status of the connections so I can see why it might update based on time.

Do you have a particularly large project ? Which CPU types are you using ?

Ken,

They are a 1756-L62 and a 1756-L61 both recently "flashed" up from 16.22.
The projects are not huge by any means (CPU Memory Usage <15%, CPU Allowable Connections vs.Existing <15%). The Remote I/O, HMIs and VFDs are exclusively EtherNet/IP and located on segregated subnets bridged via 1756-ENBTs/EN2Ts.
Of course the expanded I/O tree is some 45-50 items long. This is what makes me think that some sort of internal efficiency script concentrates the software resources only to the "real time viewed window pixel area". Since the image of every I/O device includes its comms status maybe it's just inefficient to verify the status of an item which is not being viewed at one given time...:unsure:...That's what seems like anyway...Then if you expand any cluster or scroll, the software takes too long to catch up, most likely with the comms status since the Offline file is just fine...
There is one more thing I could think of though...and I haven't tried modifying yet...of course both PCs are in dual-monitor setups...:)...efficiency is a must on both ends, software AND user...:sleep:
I will try running Logix 5000 Rev19 online with only one monitor...maybe that's it...or some stupid IT issue since we are using the LAN to hop into exclusively designated 1756-ENBTs placed in the Local chassis and patched within the same "logical" subnet...
But hey...What new...Rev.20 is already out...How long it's been?!...A year??!!...Between two major revisions??!!:rolleyes:

I will try a single monitor setup and if it doesn't solve the issue, download and install Rev.20...
Will post the (hopefully successful) results.

Thanks.

I had something that I think was similar to what you are describing on a machine that I was recently starting up. Everything I did while online took forever. Scrolling, opening up routines, I/O properties and so on.

What I found was the scan time was out of control and I was having a ton of task overlaps. Check the scan time of each task and check for minor faults (controller properties - minor faults tab).

I accidentally had a copy box that was copying a large amount of data every scan. This drove the scan time up in my continuous task and my periodic tasks were not completing (causing the overlaps). I think the communications to the PC is lowest priority, so everything was super slow. Fixed the copy box, the scan time went down and everything was back to normal.