Gas Flow Rate Calculation

ssana168

Dear all,
I am using Sullair air compressor having model number is Model Number : LS100-30HH/A
According to its manual it can provide air at flow rate of 3.99m3/minute.
I want to install Carbotech Nitrogen generator whose capacity to generate Nitrogen is 35Nm3/hour.
Can anyone help me in calculating whether this air compressor can run the above Nitrogen generator or not.

According to my calculation
Air is composed of 78% Nitrogen, so 35Nm3/hour is the 78% of Nitrogen generator input. Using this assumption we can calculate
35/0.78 = 44.87 (Approx 45)
So, Nitrogen Generator required 45Nm3/hour of compressed air to generate 35Nm3/hour of Nitrogen.

Air Compressor capacity in one hour is
3.99 x 60 = 239.4 m3/hour

It can be concluded that less than 20% of compressed air from compressor is consumed to operate Nitrogen generator on its full efficiency.

One more question i want to ask from you guys,
I have 8 ISHIDA packing machines installed and each packing machine is using Nitrogen at 12 Litres per minute. This 12 Litres per minute flow rate is the reading from SMC flow switch installed in all 8 packing machines.
From calculation
12 LPM x 8 = 96 LPM
96 x 60 = 5760 Litres/hour.
One cubic meter = 1000 Litres
5760 Litres/hour = 5.76 m3/hour.

So, from calculation it can be concluded that all 8 packing machines are consuming nitrogen at rate of 5.76 m3/hour.
Is it ok?

Your math and unit conversions are correct. That doesn't mean your system is going to work.

First of all, you don't include pressure required by the nitrogen generator or the pressure capacity of the compressor. These must also match.

Second, you don't include the efficiency of the nitrogen generator. I have no idea if the unit extracts 20% of the nitrogen from the air fed to it, or 5%, or 80%. That makes a difference.

I strongly suggest you contact the supplier of the nitrogen generator and review the application, including your compressore selection, with them.