processor Fault

traveltyme

Question------ Found my 504 mod. not fully plugged into rack,(I was on line) while pressing it in, seen a led power "glitch" on processor lamps and now FAULTED! I was on line, now now no comms. Fault wont clear with key switch,and NO comm. just flashing FAULT! What gives???

Never insert or remove an SLC controller or I/O module with the power on; that's a quick path to a major fault, minimum, or a damaged controller.

The good news is that a flashing red FAULT LED indicates a recoverable fault. Solid red would be worse.

Unplug the battery and short the Vdd/GND solder pads on the back on the printed circuit board, as described in the User Manual, for 60 seconds.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/16039/0/filename/1747-10.4+Appendix+B.pdf

That should allow you to clear the fault by cycling power and cycling the keyswitch.

Last edited:
Went thru on line manuals, and looked on back of pcb couldn't locate vdd-grnd, isnt this for 02-01? This is THAT sensitive to pwr interrupts???

The solder pads might be labeled Vcc or Vdd... it's changed a bit over the years. They're definitely on the back of the PCB, in the "middle upper right". My recollection is that they are about 1.25 inches from the back, about 1.75 inches from the top.

I don't have an SLC CPU right here to check;

The SLC family is constantly checking the integrity of the backplane communications and even a small "glitch" on the backplane connector will cause a fault; it's not power but rather bus integrity that causes recoverable faults.

Thanks for the info and link, followed inst. re-installed, powered up, re-set with key, and FLASHING Fault! Any other ideas?? As I stated, I was on line, all mods functioning, untill I pushed in loose processor mod. back into rack!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info and link, followed inst. re-installed, powered up, re-set with key, and FLASHING Fault! Any other ideas?? As I stated, I was on line, all mods functioning, untill I pushed in loose processor mod. back into rack!!!!!!!

Have you tried to get connected? No program will give you a fault.

Flashing fault means no program in processor. Were you able to get back online after reset? If not, what is your current method, (Ethernet, DH+, RS232 serial port), for getting online? Your best bet is DF1 comms thru a serial cable and a real serial port on your computer. Did you try Auto Configure? If Auto Configure doesn't work, set baud rate to 19.2k (default value), or 1200 baud for some older processors.

P.S. Mickey types faster than I do.

Believe I found the problem with faulting------ Moved processor to a dif. rack and fault cleared! Powered down, removed processor and re-installed. Fault again! Figured this must be conn. prob. Shure enough, fond a pin on large backplane conn. BENT over touching another pin. Straightened out, re-inserted and now fault is still set and NO comm. Node cant be found. Probably the504 is now gone (but not forgotten!) Question is could rack backplane been damaged? still have pwr. indicators light on my modules