Panelview Plus PITA for floor techs

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have written a 6 page guide (including figures) to assist them with replacing a PV+ 600. This happens at least once a week...they struggle to replace it and forget some step...waste machine uptime...

The app was created by a now defunct OEM and I have no intention of editing it. When I copy the app to internal storage and then load from internal storage, I am prompted to replace communication settings to which I always answer yes. On Ethernet units this does not appear to make the correct changes to the PV+ NIC configuration (turn off DHCP, set IP, subnet mask).

I need to get my instructions down to one or two pages, because we are at least a few months away from replacing them all with G3s. During that time I predict we will replace at least 6 or 7 more PV+ 600s (nasty, wash down, high vibration environment).

1) Can I construct a batch file to automatically change the IP address, subnet mask, and turn off DHCP?

2) Can I write a batch file entry to change the terminal configuration startup behavior to run current application?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, at one point I had been looking into automating some settings for new terminals as well. I work for an OEM and we are constantly loading these things and there are several settings that we change every time (Network, cursor). Although I have not found how a lot of them are stored, I have not given up.

I did find how to get into the file system with a keyboard. I searched around for a bit looking for anything that could have saved settings but came up empty. I haven't completely given up though, I'll give it another go soon. Meanwhile, I'll be watching this thread....

Looks promising, John. I am buried in other tasks at the moment, but if I feel masochistic later in the week I may pull a new PV+ off the shelf and experiment, unless Dustin want to take the pain first. ;)

Paul - I wrote and regularly use a batch file to change the IP address and subnet on my laptop. It is based on the Windows "netsh" command and I should imagine it would be easy enough to get it to turn off the DHCP as well, but have never done that. Because (I believe) this command is only applicable for the machine where the functioning OS resides (ie, the same PC where the batch file lives) the next problem I see is how to easily get it to onto and fired up on the new Panelview.

I have no idea how to "automatically" accomplish your second task, though.

Here is an example of the netsh command:

netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 192.168.1.20 255.255.255.0

And attached is the batch file (you will need to change the .txt extention to .bat):

Thanks Steve. In other posts, I have read about placing a batch file on the CF card to get it to run on the Panelview Plus. The differences between windows XP and Windows CE may bite me though.

My guys can understand finding and setting the startup options, but when I say "IP address and subnet mask"... They give me that look....I may as well be speaking Hebrew.

Looks promising, John. I am buried in other tasks at the moment, but if I feel masochistic later in the week I may pull a new PV+ off the shelf and experiment, unless Dustin want to take the pain first. ;)

I'm picking up a 12 pack and bringing a PVP home with me tonight...

I think between Johnster and Steve, I think we'll have something.

Paul

I use DHCP per port on my ethernet switch to combat this. If your switch has that feature (Managed) you set a DHCP server for each port and set the address space to 1 address or on some switches you can have 1 dhcp server for the whole switch and decide which port gets which address reservation.

Would this not be handy on your new red lion panels also or do they change the IP addy when you download the project via flash card or usb maybe? Just curious.

Paul

I use DHCP per port on my ethernet switch to combat this. If your switch has that feature (Managed) you set a DHCP server for each port and set the address space to 1 address or on some switches you can have 1 dhcp server for the whole switch and decide which port gets which address reservation.

Would this not be handy on your new red lion panels also or do they change the IP addy when you download the project via flash card or usb maybe? Just curious.
Sure ... except I have 14 machines with OEM locked SLC (all the 5/05s with the same fixed IP address). To mate them to our plant LAN, we use DigiOneIAPs on each serial port. To connect them to their respective Panelviews, the OEM used a local dumb DIN rail switch connected to each SLC channel 1 (some of them are DH+ and little trouble to set up)

Can I turn a dumb switch into a DHCP server or configure the 5/05 to act as one? (I ask only half seriously.)

Once I convert them to the G3 the instructions for cloning change to this:
1) power down.
2) transfer the memory card to the new HMI
3) apply power to the new G3
4) Wait approximately 2 minutes* for the entire OS and application to be loaded before operating the machine.

*Once cloned subsequent power cycles will only require 7 seconds in order for the already programmed HMI to boot and establish communications to the SLC.

Also, I intend to remove the Digi's and use each G3 as both HMI and bridge to the SLC (if required at all) by connecting the G3 to CH0 (RS-232 DF1).

Paul

It sounds like you have a solid plan but here is something else just to toss around.

You could put your HMI and SLC at each machine on the same logical network at each machine right? You could use something like a tofino industrial firewall which is very small and din rail mount and this could do static routing to put all you slc controllers and respective G3 hmi units on the corpoarte lan. This way you would have a different IP addy for each line as far as the corporate lan is concerned and behind each firewall the config for the slc and g3 would be exactly the same. Make the g3 all the same address also like the slc.

Just a methood if you every feel the need to get away from the serial interfaces. The tofinos are also a SSL/TLS VPN so you could have a secure connection to them from the OEM if there is a need for that since you mentioned they were OEM locked.

Also IIRC the G3 depending on the model you have may have dual ethernet ports and it will also do static routing so a dumbe switch betwen the slc and g3 and then the other port of the g3 will connect both the g3 and the slc to the corporate lan without ip address changes on the slc and it will be all ethernet and no serial.