Control Logic PLC 205 and WebApp Interface

ecolbeth

Good evening,
I'm applying for a job and the company is using Direct Logic PLC 205 to control and monitor machinery. They are using a Industrial Beijer PC EPC AM (touchscreen pc) to monitor and control the machine.

They are not super happy with the clunky XP based OS on the touchscreen. Their machine is cutting edge and the controls look 10 years old.

I was thinking that if it was possible to add a web server to the PLC then a web app could be used and a more modern interface, like an Ipad, or any wireless device could be used, as all it would need is a web browser.

I'm pretty clueless about PLC's and how they are controlled via a console.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Eddie

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

First take a closer look at the controller and the software running on the touchscreen.

I'm not aware of anything called a "Control Logic PLC 205". There's a family of controllers from Rockwell Automation called "ControlLogix", and there is a controller from Automation Direct called an "Direct Logic 205". Maybe it's one of those ?

I'd be amazed if the Beijer PC you mentioned is really running Windows NT; those are Atom-based and seem to be shipped with XP Embedded.

The software used for Human-Machine Interface (HMI) purposes is widely varied. There might be a totally custom HMI application, or they might be using something off-the-shelf like Wonderware or iFIX or RSView.

There are a handful of browser-based HMI systems available, and some of them include mobile device support. Describe what your system does (and what it's running now) and I'm sure you'll get advice from the Forum community.

By the way, ten years is not a long time in industrial automation. Many customers expect (and even specify) that they be able to get exactly the same parts 20 years from now. Rockwell's ControlLogix family is considered to be new to many users, but it was launched in 1997. What if you'd built an HMI that ran only on iOS 3.... can you afford to update every machine you ship out, once a year, forever ? I'm not saying that good-looking HMI's aren't worth doing, I'm just waving the flag for supportability.

Last edited: