Click Plc Logic for Valve control

AssUMing that your valves open on energization and close on de-energization, here is Revision 3 using 1 timer. With the complicated timing scheme, you might as well use 1 timer and comparison instructions to bracket each time period.

This program is a candidate for the Automation Direct DRUM sequencer instruction with a time base (see the CLICK Help file). If you want to learn something, that would be a good method to try. Most likely after you use DRUM for awhile, you will decide that it is easier to make timing changes with the plain old timer version.

Last edited:
There was an error on Revision 3, Rung 6. The first comparison for Step 5 "TD1 >= 2" should have been "TD1 >= 120".

I also added the Run/Stop switch in front of each Output. In case you accidently get some valves OPEN at the wrong time, you can always close all valves by hitting the Stop switch.

I made the timer retentive, so that if there is a power outage, it will pick up the sequence where it was before power loss. After a power loss (or any other time), if you want to reset the timer to 0, hit the Reset pushbutton.

Last edited:
They will all be Normally Closed solenoid valves that open when energized. This is a safety requirement in case the power goes out, in order to keep all the hydrogen contained.

I cannot seem to get hydrogen sequence R4 to run on my click plc. Am I missing something?
Did you:
1. Connect to your PLC?
2. Write Project into PLC?
3. Change Mode to RUN?
4. Turn on the Run/Stop switch for Input X001? (If you don't have this switch, you need to delete this contact or force it on somehow).

This program is a candidate for the Automation Direct DRUM sequencer instruction with a time base (see the CLICK Help file). If you want to learn something, that would be a good method to try.

Last edited:
Maybe I did not have the retained timer set up correctly to self-reset. Try this version 5.

I wired in a switch for X001 but I must have done it incorrectly because once I removed all X001 instructions from the Logic, the program runs smoothly. Is there a diagram for the correct wiring of a switch?

I would wire in both the start/stop switch X001 and the reset button X002.

Also, what would you do to the ladder logic to have the Hydrogen Sequence R5 repeat after it finishes?

Thank you

Is there a diagram for the correct wiring of a switch?
Yes, it will be the same as for many other CLICK digital inputs. See your Click User Manual. The program rung 0 for the switch right now requires a maintained-contact pushbutton or switch. If you have a momentary-contact switch, then you will need to add a seal-in RUN relay to keep it running after you release the pushbutton.
Also, what would you do to the ladder logic to have the Hydrogen Sequence R5 repeat after it finishes?
Same as it is now. The timer bit in the Reset rung self-resets the timer once it hits the Prset value of 6 hours (360 minutes).

Last edited:
I have added a reset condition of TD1=360 and that successfully reset the timer.

I would still like to wire in the switches though if you could help me out.

I will try to download the manual and see how your terminals are arranged. Basically your switch should be wired one side to Power, other side to CLICK Input terminal X001.

Here is the link to the free downloadable Click User Manual:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...tackable_Micro_Brick)/Documentation/C0-USER-M

WARNING: I would not recommend running this program without some way to STOP it, such as a switch or pushbutton.

Here is some wiring info from Chapter 3, Page 3-27

Click PLC Input Wiring.JPG

Last edited:
I wired a switch from the power to X001 but flipping it with the program in run does not activate the timer. But if I delete all the X001 inputs then the program works without the switch. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.