COntrolLogix5000 arrays and integer question

realolman

In Control Logix5000 I don't understand what data type I am using, what I want to use, or how to create it .

I am trying to modify an existing controller and Panelview.

I would like to create a new tag that uses an integer from 0 to 10000.

In order to communicate with an existing Panleview, I want it to be in the format of Nx[nn].

I bring up the new tag screen. for the purpose of this discussion, I called it NewTag , no description

Since I want it to be in the form o Nxx[nn], I want to make NewTag an alias for something... I look through the drop down list and the only ones available are for existing "things". I do not know on that list if I am dealing with arrays, integers, or what and if they are already in use

There is no N27 on the list... I would like to make my new tag N27 and have it be capable of holding an integer number from 0 to 10000 .

Can I do that? If so how?

I had a thread on here yesterday re: how to determine if a variable(?)Tag(?) is being used by something else, that several of you gave fine responses to, and I appreciate them , but I still do not understand.

There must be some concept really simple that is just going right over my head. I have done a lot of computer programming and SLC programming , but this ControlLogix5000 just gives me fits... I feel like I don;t know anything

thank you

Last edited:
If anyone has been interested enough to read this far, I created an new tag as N27 as an integer.... So now that appears as a choice when aliasing another tag.

If I alias NewTag to N27, is that going to work ?

hi everybody i am new to this site, i have been lazy these days , i am using plc allen bradley at work , i work for alrode brewery in a production line (unit8) and i am a process artisan , i look after the production process , i cant not access plc , so i only have the internet and these forum, .... i had a problem on monday at work , we have pallet conveyors which distribute pallets to our palletiser and also are stacked by our pallet stacker, the conveyors are driven by allen bradley , when pallets cannot go into the palletiser , the pallets have to go into the pallet stacker, when the palletiser needs pallets than the pallet stacker has to unstack the pallets, but the pallet stacker can only unstack , because the conveyor that carries the pallet cannot reverse, this conveyor is not conventionally wired , it is controlled via a drive and sensor inputs via devicenet, so what could be hindering this conveyor from reversing?

uthongo, please create your own thread.

realmon, are you connecting to a standard panelview, or a panelview plus? If it's a standard, you probably want to look into SLC mapping. It's under the Logic drop down in RSLogix 5000. This will basically allow you to map a SLC style data file to a RSLogix5000 style tag.

Standard PV not a +

I don't know what more i could say... I have made similar changes to these exact same hardward pieces in the past. I don't see what could be incompatible about the hardware.

I don't understand how the numeric entry object in the panelview is "connected" to a tag in the controller

Here is an example:
In the PanelView there is a numeric entry object.... it has a tag address of n21[54] and a data type of signed integer. It has a display tag and a write tag of Program-ST-collect-dec

What is the purpose of the display and the write tag?

In the controller, I can't even find an n21[54] I can't find an n21 anything ...yet the numeric entry works..... how can that be?

Last edited:
realmon, are you connecting to a standard panelview, or a panelview plus? If it's a standard, you probably want to look into slc mapping. It's under the logic drop down in rslogix 5000. This will basically allow you to map a slc style data file to a rslogix5000 style tag.

+1

PLC Mapping.png

I don't know what more i could say...

you don't really need to "say" anything – just post the ControlLogix and the PanelView files that you're working with ... there are plenty of members here who can track down the signals and tell you exactly what's going on – but we can't do that without the details ...

one size does NOT fit all ... we can't give you detailed help without having detailed information ... we're trying to help - but we need specific information to do that ... all we can do at this point is keep offering "general suggestions" and "friendly advice" ... if that's not enough, you'll have to give us more to go on ...

Standard PV not a +

I don't know what more i could say... I have made similar changes to these exact same hardward pieces in the past. I don't see what could be incompatible about the hardware.

I don't understand how the numeric entry object in the panelview is "connected" to a tag in the controller

Here is an example:
In the PanelView there is a numeric entry object.... it has a tag address of n21[54] and a data type of signed integer. It has a display tag and a write tag of Program-ST-collect-dec

What is the purpose of the display and the write tag?

In the controller, I can't even find an n21[54] I can't find an n21 anything ...yet the numeric entry works..... how can that be?

realolman, MichaelG has provided the answer...

Here's a bit more info to help you understand.

1. I suspect the PanelView was originally connected to a PLC5 or SLC, and that has been updated to a Logix processor.

2. Logix5000 allows "legacy" devices to communicate with it by providing the PLC/SLC mapping feature that MichaelG has pointed you to.

3. There are NO "data-files" in a Logix5000 processor, so any external device that *thinks* it is talking to a PLC5 or SLC has to be mapped.

4. The PLC/SLC mapping is quite simple - any external access (read or write) to a SLC/PLC data-file is redirected to a Logix5000 array.

An example : the PanelView reads N55:100 from a PLC/SLC. That is a physical address in PLC/SLC that doesn't exist in a Logix5000 controller. The mapping will have an entry for file number 55, redirecting it to an array in the Logix5000 system - this may be an array tag like PanelViewData[xx].

A mapping of File 55 to PanelViewData will automatically allow access to PanelViewData[100] when it sees N55:100 as the target address.

Whenever I worked on a system upgrade, I would always have recommended an HMI upgrade at the same time, but it mostly fell on deaf ears.

Just remember, when you see a PLC/SLC address like N27:50 in your PanelView application, and it is connected to a Logix5000 system, then mapping to Logix5000 arrays will have been implemented.

maybe this will help ...

well, in some cases mapping might not be a piece of the puzzle ...

here's a screen shot of a lab program that my students and I set up to duplicate some hardware that they're still using back in their plant ... the PanelView is an oldie (but goldie) Remote I/O version (blue hose) and the system works just fine ...

once again, the more we know about the system, the better the responses will be - but maybe this will be enough to move the problem off of top-dead-center ...

btw_to_pv.jpg