Omron vs siemens

salmaa

I need to compare between the OMRON CJ2M CPU32 and the Siemens Simatic S7-400 .. can someone help me please ??

There is really no comparison. Siemens is byte based. Omron is word based. Siemens is much more like programming a processor direct - Omron is more 'standar0d' in a way and much more friendly to me but that is relative. If you love Siemens you would not go any other way - if you do not like Siemens you would avoid it like the plague.
I do not know where you wish to compare the two - more information required.
I am am Omron user and would not go any other way by choice. There are plenty here that do not like Omron either.
At the end of the day what do you want to compare between the two brands? They have a totally different approach to both hardware and software - I fail to see how the two can be compared unless you detail some comparison requirements.

Salmaa, as has been stated what are you trying to compare? Siemens are a different colour to Omron. Siemens are a different price to Omron. Siemens is spelt differently to Omron etc etc...

I'm guessing this is a homework question along the lines of "Compare and contrast both Siemens and Omron PLCs". Is this the case?

You need to give more info to get an answer...

actuallay I need to justify why I used the OMRON CJ2M-CPU32 in a project work and I didn't use the siemens S7-400, the comparison have to be based on the price, performance: Data memory capacity, instruction execution time,
sorry if i can't explain clearly i'm not a native english speaker

If it's based on price then surely that its cheaper is enough justification?

Why did you choose that PLC over the other? Did you have a reason at the time?

Whenever I'm specifying a project I normally find out what the customer wants. If the customer has no preference (very rare) then I'll just use whatever PLC manufacturer I'm more comfortable with and feel I can do the best job with.

Surely, you will have chosen the PLC for a reason? Only you know what those reasons are.

;-)

I worked with it because the factory where I did my training has already purchased the omron, but now I have justify THEIR choice! weird I know but it happens

Justify to who ?

Surely you can't be responsible for the factories choice unless you lead that decision ?

If it is price related then Omron are cheaper than Siemens. That should be justification enough on the price front?

justify to my teachers , my Uni (i'm still a student) ... price is included in the justification plus other technical caracteristics like memory capacity, execution time , etc ..

Why not asking from someone at the factory why did they go with Omron? I'm sure they can give some information about it. Besides that, technical specifications are quite easy to find from the internet, so I would look for manuals for both Omron and Siemens.

I understand your situation, I'm on my practical training at the moment, and basically my boss or co-worker orders the components and I have no other choice than to live with whatever they decide to buy.

Thank you, I asked them and they just said 'because they are used to work with OMRON PLCs' not easy to got an answer from them

... price is included in the justification plus other technical caracteristics like memory capacity, execution time , etc ..

Again, it completely depends on what is required for the project. Without more information then it is impossible to say why one PLC will be more suitable than another.

Is this an essay you have to write or can you say "because it was cheaper and they were more comfortable using Omron" ??

The project is the automation of the production chain, when I started the work with them they already have chosen and purchased the PLC, Now in my report I have to say why we used the Omron instead of the siemens which was also available for such project. that's the story , sadly in the factory I can't get detailed answers because as I said they only tell me that they're used to work with Omron, but this answer is not available in my Uni so I have to work alone in comparing btwn both PLCs.

Right.... so we've got the question. I would start with searching the net and finding the specifications for both PLCs. Then go through each specification (i.e. processor speed) and show a comparison between the two models.

Then justify the Omron based on the differences you find ie. It is faster / cheaper / the factory had spares for it / the electricians were used to working on it etc etc....

;-)