Comunication convertion MEYHAM!!!

spence144db

Hello, gents
I have another problem that I am hoping you guys could help me solve. First let me say thank you in advance for any help I may receive. I have a machine with 3 separate SLC 5/03 processors each one with a full 30 cards on 3 different back plains, they all talk with DEVICENET. Now this is where it can get a little fuzzy. They are going from the processor(s) to a SLC 500 DH-485 Link Coupler then that converts communication to DEVICENET.
Then down the line on the receiving end it goes from DEVICENET back to DH-485 at the possessor. Then in the main panel they have a PC that is connected to a 1761-NET-AIC which connects the PC using rs-232 to the device-net and allows us to see all 3 processors.

Q: I want to go wireless and get a laptop out on the floor so that you can trouble shoot with out walking from end to end (over 1000 feet) every time you need to trip a limit or make sure a actuator moved correctly. What products would you recommend? I am open to all ideas even if I have to rip all this **** out.

Last edited:
Well, we're happy to help. There are many Forum members who are experts in electronic communication systems for industrial applications.

Tell us about the problem.

Internet forum DUSCISSION.

You are welcome.

Allow me to thank you in advance for a presumably well-written questionaire.
No doubt it will describe with precision what you want to achive, and exactly what kind of equipment is in question - down to type numbers for easy reference. And surely you will also describe what you have already done, and what stumpling block you have finally hit. Probably a diagram or two will be attached for easy understanding.
It will be a pleasure to read a text that is terse and to the point, without unnecessary pleasantries.

I shall follow this thread.

That's cheating ! You can't go back and put in a detailed post after we've gone to all the trouble of giving you grief about the first one !

:)

The backbone you're seeing isn't DeviceNet, it's DH-485.

Unfortunately, DH-485 is pretty difficult to bridge to Ethernet or any other network.

Probably the easiest and (long term) cheapest way to do this is to use that computer that is already connected to the DH485 network, and run RSLinx Classic Gateway on it.

Connect your wireless PC to the same network as the RSLC Gateway computer, and use the "Remote Devices via RSLinx Gateway" driver to adopt that computer's DH485 driver.

Lets begin.

1st, I am sure that the link couplers does not convert to Devicenet, but merely isolates the RS485 chain from the processors. So it is DH485 all the way.

2nd, to reach the SLC5/03s via wireless, there are a couple of possibilities.
a. Bluetooth adapters connected to the serial ports.
b. 1761-NET-ENI connected to the serial ports, and then to a wireless router.
c. 3rd-party serial-to-ethernet adapter connected to the serial port, and then to a wireless router.
d.... other more esoteric and expensve solutions.

edit:
d. What Ken said !

Lets begin.

1st, I am sure that the link couplers does not convert to Devicenet, but merely isolates the RS485 chain from the processors. So it is DH485 all the way.

2nd, to reach the SLC5/03s via wireless, there are a couple of possibilities.
a. Bluetooth adapters connected to the serial ports.
b. 1761-NET-ENI connected to the serial ports, and then to a wireless router.
c. 3rd-party serial-to-ethernet adapter connected to the serial port, and then to a wireless router.
d.... other more esoteric and expensve solutions.

edit:
d. What Ken said !

OK, so lets say I go with a 1761-net-eni. I would just connect the mini 8-pin RS-232 port to each possessor and one wireless router. So grand total I would need 3 adapters and 1 router connecting it all with CAT-5 of course?

OK, so lets say I go with a 1761-net-eni. I would just connect the mini 8-pin RS-232 port to each possessor and one wireless router. So grand total I would need 3 adapters and 1 router connecting it all with CAT-5 of course?
Yes one adapter per SLC5/03. It will be a bit expensive.

Kens suggestion will be somewhat less expensive, and just means you must install another RSLinx, so it will be much less hassle.
But then again, when everything shares the same 19200 baud, it will not be very performant.

A NET-ENI or bluetooth should be much faster, since you will access the serial port with nothing else sharing it.

Just so that I can go to my boss with all my bases covered. What are my options regarding the blue-tooth? Just a model number or reference number is fine I can do all the research on it. I don't expect you guys to do all the work for me...(y) Also, what kind of range do you get? WiFi vs Bluetooth...what will be better?

Oh by the way ...
Of course both the NET-ENI, and the Bluetooth, and 3rd-party ethernet-serial requires that the serial port is free. If already used for a local operator panel for example, it is a no go.

My experience with Bluetooth/Serial has been disappointing. Most products talk big but underdeliver for stability and throughput. You can't get more than about 300 feet with Bluetooth under any conditions, and you mentioned a thousand-foot system.

Ordinary WiFi connectivity to an Ethernet network that is connected to that DH485-connected PC is probably the cheapest and fastest method.

Describe what the PC that's already connected to the system is doing. That might help steer you in the right direction.