New CompactLogix CPUs coming ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

in THIS thread, Control_Conn mentions new -L33 and -L36 CPUs. And on Rockwells website I found mention of a new -L1x series which uses POINT i/o. This is all very interesting.
But apart from the mentioning of -L1x there is very little detail, and no mention of -L33 and -L36.

Anyone have a link to a press release, specifications, or anything else ?

Just found something in the selection guide.
Looks like all new range of CompactLogix is on the way. Both L1x, L2x and L3x !

Hum !
I see that Rockwell still play the game of artificially limiting the number of expansion modules.
Like max 6 i/o modules for the smallest L16ER CPU.
Also a new and interesting L30ER CPU, but limited to max 8 i/o modules.
So close, and yet so far. If I was in charge if RA, I would sack whoever came up with this harebrained scheme.

Page 29 of The PLC Kid's posted PDF is interesting, mentions the 1747-AENT with one right in the I/O tree... When is that thing finally supposed to come out?? It would save loads of headaches for us retrofitting plants.

Thanks for the info.
I wonder if either a 1769-L16ER or a 1769-L30ER plus a 1747-AENT could be a viable upgrade path for old SLC500 racks.
Can you give a hint at what prices we may be looking at ?

I have been in touch with our distributor regarding the 1747-AENTR module. Last I've heard is target target list price of $2500 and release Feb 29th.
It will not support extended chassis using 1747-C7,-C9,-C16.

Thanks for the info.
I wonder if either a 1769-L16ER or a 1769-L30ER plus a 1747-AENT could be a viable upgrade path for old SLC500 racks.
Can you give a hint at what prices we may be looking at ?

From what I got at the Automation Fair this is exactly what they were targeting. You would use the Compact in place of the SLC CPU.

A lot cheaper than ripping out the old I/O and buying/rewiring 1769 or 1756 I/O with an ENBT, though.
There are other alternatives than AB. Not like you can connect directly to an SLC500 rack with a 3rd party PLC, but replacing an entire SLC500 rack seems a viable alternative. Especially if there are some other reasons to look outside the AB box.

I think ~$2500 is expensive, but it's not typical AB excessive.
You mean that for AB it is a fairly reasonable price ! I best not comment.

Just checked the specs of the 1769-L16ER and I am somewhat disappointed by the i/o update rate. One analog card adds 20 ms !

Page 29 of The PLC Kid's posted PDF is interesting, mentions the 1747-AENT with one right in the I/O tree... When is that thing finally supposed to come out?? It would save loads of headaches for us retrofitting plants.

Product manager told me Q3 2012. I need it here bad. It works pretty smooth. We got to play with it a lttle in a lab.

Jesper, what document did you read the I/O update specifications in ? I don't see that detail in the Product Profile.

My experience with the POINTBus platform is that analog modules have an update rate independent of the other modules, so a 20 ms update for an Analog module doesn't affect the faster updates for the Rack Optimized connection or for other Module-specific connections.

Ken, THIS DOCUMENT.

Quote from page 8 (for 5370 L1 controllers):
For specialty and analog modules (except 1734-ASC485 modules):
–1 module can be scanned at 20ms.
–For each additional module add 20ms.
For example, if a CompactLogix 5370 L1 control system uses two analog modules, the module can be scanned in 40 ms.

Compare with page 12 (for 5370 L3 controllers):
• 1…2 modules [i.e. ANY type of module] can be scanned in 0.5 ms.
•3…4 modules can be scanned in 1 ms.
•5…30 modules can be scanned in 2 ms.

edit: I try to no avail to make these quotes appear "pretty". But the forum software inserts blanks and new lines regardless of what I do.
There must be some "hidden" formatting that we cannot see or do anything about.
I wish I could clear all this hidden formatting in some way.

edit again: Ken, are you saying that the update rates of digital and analog modules are independant of each other ? If that is the case, it would make a lot of sense. In that case digital i/o would update for example every 4 ms, and analog i/o would update every 40 ms. That would be acceptable for most applications.

Last edited:
Not to change the direction of this thread, but does anyone know the release dates of the new L1 and L2 series? My distributor is slow getting back to me.

Thanks,
Patrick