Anyone Familiar With using Active Factory Reporting From Wonderware

Ctrayler

:( I am having serious problems with my active factory reporting system that I recently purchased from wonderware. I cannot get it to run scheduled reports like it is supposed too, I can load the Active factory software on to my SQL server and it begins working. Within a few days, the scheduled task reports are no longer generating and the static reports are no longer posting either when I try to publish them from my excel workbook (with active factory plug-in). I can provide as much information as requested if someone who is familiar with active factory could give me some advice. It's really starting to drive me crazy.

thanks,

Chris

Are there any error or failure messages in the SQL server logs?

Unless error cases are explicitly handled, SQL server will put scheduled tasks on hold if they fail, or if they block for too long.

If it's running for a few days, then failing, that sounds like SQL server blocking. Especially if you can run the report manually from a plug-in (on demand bypasses the scheduler).

There are no errors in the sequel log however in the report buffer database (this is where all published reports go to), it shows that excel did not complete the task in the allotted 120sec. I kinda believe that it has something to do with the excel office add in that active factory has but I have replaced the file with no luck to date. I was mainly hoping to find someone who might have run into this problem before.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

From what I can see, there is a timeout of 120 seconds for report generation. I believe this is a configurable parameter. You should be able to find more information on Report Automation parameters and registry settings in your AF documentation. The ActiveFactory Documentation lists many configurable registry settings in: -> Report Automation Services - -> Configuring Report Automation - - - > Tweaking Configuration Parameters.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info jshiepe, I will try that and see if I can get any kind of difference (I do know that the report that I built in excel is very large).

That fixed it, used the registry editor to change it from 120sec to 480sec and now everything within my reporting system works great. I appreciate the response, I work in a place where there is no one else that works on our automation PLC systems and this place is like a gift from god when it comes to discussing a problem to get the solution.

Thanks again

Chris

Glad I could be of assistance.

I work in a place where there is no one else that works on our automation PLC systems.....

You and me both. I don't know where I'd be without forums like this one, Google, vendor support sites, etc.

For future reference, if you're a Wonderware Comprehensive Support subscriber, WW's support site is really great. Tech notes, expert knowledge base, software downloads and upgrades, forums, etc. I think all you have to do is register with your support contract number and you're in.

Good Luck,
Jeff

I do have the wonderware support contract but I am in oklahoma which is supported through a vendor company, every time I call wonderware I get directed to this company which never has an answer and usually takes a week to contact me back with any ideas. Your information came in very handy as it fixed the problem but I am going on 5 days straight without hearing back from the vendor company who is checking information for me (basically I have a must middle man). I am very familiar with PLC programming and wonderware itself but this was my first experience in setting up an active factory information distribution system. Really enjoyed it, anyways kudos for the help.

Chris

Chris,

I guess what I was trying to say is that the Wonderware Support Site is available to you at no additional cost (since you're already a support subscriber) and it is the resource that I used to find the answer to your problem. This could save you alot of time and headache in the future rather than calling WW and getting redirected to your local supplier. If you register here:

http://www.wonderware.com/about_us/who_we_are/register.asp

you'll understand what I mean. You can even open up your own service requests and view their status right online. The online forums are especially nice, much like this one but WW specific.

I'm a firm believer (as I think most people are) that you should get as much bang for your many bucks that you pay for support. It's only to your benefit to take advantage of this.

Jeff

Auto report =value!, manual run succeeds?

Hello,

Your post seems similar to a problem I'm having with reporting. I've just started supporting an office that uses Wonderware and ActiveFactory. They have reports set up to auto generate each day in excel. The reports stopped working in August. The scheduled task runs but the data returned is "=value!. The data comes from an InSQL db data folder.

They have the option to click a button and generate the report as well and that works. I'm not sure where to start.

We are using Excel 2003. I'm not familiar with either system and this is my first task!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Active Factory Logs Off

I am also having trouble with Active Factory. I am attending a course early next year but would appreciate if anyone can help. Active Factory (9.2) keeps looging off the server when scrolling through the tag picker. Any ideas please?