slc5/04 comm

RY_Guthrie

I am trying to communicate with a slc5/04 thru the serial port using the df-1 driver. I did the auto config but it is not finding the processor out there. I have used this path many times the only thing differnt that I can find is that the plc is using this port to comminicate with a phonix connect rs-232 to rf link transceiver. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong. I am unplugging the phonix device to use this port, I would go dh+ but do not have the correct cable with me.

Do you have the offline program for this SCL5/04. If so take a look at how the serial port is configured. Or post the file here( it's .RSS file,zip it first) and someone will take a look for you.

I think I got it figured out, I compared the off line cinfiguration with another slc5/04 that I have been into before and Im pretty sure they have configured the rs232 port for the specific comms they are doing so I am pretty sure I am going to have to go in thru the dh+ port. Thanks to every one there at the forum, you have been a great help several times!!

Maybe the port has been set up for hardware handshaking to use that RF converter, or maybe the port is set up for DF1 Half Duplex or some other protocol over the radios.

Are you using an ordinary A-B 1747-CP3 cable, or a home-made cable ? Does the cable have the hardware handshaking lines (RTS/CTS and DSR/DTR) connected ?

Do you have an offline copy of the program that might indicate the serial port settings ?

If the SLC is a DF1 Half Duplex Slave, you'll need to figure out which Slave address it is and configure the complicated DF1 Half Duplex Master in RSLinx Classic.

If the SLC is a DF1 Half Duplex Master, you'd have to use the DF1 Half Duplex Slave driver in RSLinx Classic.

The DF1 Half Duplex drivers won't run the handshaking pins in any OS newer than Windows 2000, and if the SLC is a master you'd have to configure RSLinx to be the node number of a device that's already in the poll list, and that will only work if the SLC is using poll lists instead of Message-based communications.

So unless you're an expert with DF1 Half Duplex and know details about the system, I'd punt and go find a DH+ interface.

going dh+ route, need the comm link it is using now to be running any way to properly trouble shoot it anyway. Thanks for all your help, this site is a valuable resource!