Step7 V11 licensing issues

Marshy

Is anyone else in this situation?

Two people work in office, we have been using Step7 V11 Basic since 10.5 to program our S7-1200's. We also have 1 Step7 2010 professional floating license to program our S7-300 PLC's.

We have SUS contracts for both packages, recently we upgraded our Step7 Basic V11 to SP2 this converted the Step 7 basic license to floating license.

Last week we decided to upgrade our Step7 2010 professional license to a Step7 V11 Professional license. The software upgraded our Step7 V11 Basic installation to a Step 7 V11 Professional one.

The problem is now if we want to open up a Step 7 Basic project we need the Step 7 Professional license!

It looks like I'm going to have to re-install Step7 V11 Basic on a virtual machine to be able to open up a Step 7 Basic project when my coleague is using the Step 7 Professional license.

I would have hoped the Step 7 Professional software would realise only a Step 7 Basic license is required and look for that first?

My boss is not a happy man....

You upgraded the software installation for V11 from basic to professional. So you need the professional license. You have no choice but to either use the Pro license or uninstall Pro and then reinstall Basic.
With v11 the installed software determines the required license, rather than the installed software functioning at the level of the installed license.
I hope that makes sense.

to add to Mike's explanation

after you install Step7 V11 Professional and did the license upgrade- your authorization (in ALM)should state that it is a Step 7 Professional COMBO.
This means that it will work for Step7 V5 Professional and S7 V11 Professional
Step7 V11 Professional programs 1200,300,400, WinAC

You only need STEP7 v11 PRO if the project contains S7-300 or S7-400 CPUs.
If there is only S7-1200 CPUs in the project, then the project should be able to be shared between STEP7 v11 BASIC and STEP7 v11 PRO.

If the above turns out to be wrong, then there must be a bug, which is not impossible at all.

If there is only S7-1200 CPUs in the project, then the project should be able to be shared between STEP7 v11 BASIC and STEP7 v11 PRO.

This is what we thought. After speaking with Siemens Tech support this is not the case and we now need to upgrade the STEP7 v11 BASIC license to STEP7 V11 Pro.

Just had an update from Siemens on this. apparently with V12 this won't be an issue and you can use a professional installation to open a basic project with a basic license. Happy days..