PLC/HMI - Data logging, part 11 compliante

tisbris

Hi

At work we need to upgrade a old Siemens Visonik DCS system to a system that only should handle data logging and alarm handling from sensors.

The biggest issue is that we need these data 365/24/7 - with no gaps in data logging.

Our experience is that once in a while the network will fail and redundant servers also has its limits, so we like the data logging to be stored in the plc/rtu/pac - if connection to the hmi is lost.

I have read many datasheets, but it looks like this feature is not as common as I though it would be.

So I need some help to do a list with plc/rtu/pac that can store data logging if connetion server is lost.

It is important that these data remain part 11 compliante!

Looking forward to see what's is possible.

I only found this:

http://www.eurotherm-lifesciences.com/en-GB/solutions/data-management/t2550-data-logging/

thx

We recommend Honeywell's paperless recorders for pharma part 11 compliance.

It saves realtime conversions to internal flash memory, exports internal data to an external flash Compact Flash drive on a periodic basis.

The data is available realtime over a network connection as Modbus data or via a scheduled FTP data fetch on a demand or periodic scheduled basis.

So the data can be obtained
1) via USB flash drive by walking up to the recorder (yes, there's security user name and passwords)

2) By removing its external Compact Flash card and exporting its data

3) realtime network via Honeywell software

4) realtime network via Modbus

5) realtime network via OPC

6) via network connection as a block data transfer on demand or on schedule.

The external flash drives serves as a redundant storage to the internal flash drive.

Here in the US the FDA requires periodic password changes. People who use them really like the Honeywell because it has a password synchronization program for other recorders on the same subnet, so that a password change on one recorder is replicated to other recorders on the subnet. I can see that. Some of these places have dozens and changing a password on each is annoying.

We are planning to store all virtual servers at one place, so the Matrikon solution is not ideal.

we need the source - plc/rtu/pac - to do the data collection.

The Honeywell solution looks expensive end a little clumsy...

Give Beckhoff Embedded Controllers a look. They can handle all the data storage you need, with local data storage and the ability to push to remote system through numerous different solutions

On a side note, skip anything associated with the name Matrikon. While it would be nice to support local, they have pushed out nothing but utter garbage in the last few years and have some of the worst technical support on the planet.