Factory Talk- SQL express audit trail

stooperbike

Does anyone have any idea why Factory Talk (FT) does not have the option to log Audit messages to an SQL database via ODBC in the FT diagnostic Configuration? It does have the option to check the AUDIT box when FT View Diag list or Local Log is selected.

I tried to attach a few screen shots of the setup for FT diagnostics.

I do have the Audit policy enabled

I need to be able to log "failed logins" change of password, basically all the stuff the Audit would keep track of to the SQLdatabase. Maybe I need to install something else or I dont have some other check box configured correctly? I am using FT View stuido 6.00.00(CPR 9 SR3) and SQL express 2005

It is logging everything else correctly via ODBC so I know the connection works properly.

Thanks for the help!!:ROFLMAO:
Stoop,

I just last week went down this rabbit hole. The audit trail information generated by the system is really pretty good. It happily logs it to the local FTEvent Log on each component of your system.

THEN, I set up a SQL connection and found exactly what you did. The selection to send audit trail info to SQL is greyed out. I called tech support and you have to have AssetCentre installed and in the SAME FT Directory as the application generating the events. For what I assume to be revenue generating reasons, Asset Centre handles all SQL audit trail collection. The kicker is that it can't handle information from more than one Factory Talk Directory either. This customer even has Asset Centre, just not in the same FTD.

I was all jazzed up about using central SQL logging for all of the events generated by two large SE Distributed applications until I hit this road block.

If you or anyone else knows a better solution I would love to know too.

RSL

Last edited:
RSL, thanks for the info. I am going to install the asset center for this and I will post how I make out. It seems like Rockwell love to find a way for you to buy additional software. Hopefully someone out there knows a better way around this.
thanks,
Stooperbike

I installed the assit software and it works well. Again not sure why Rockwell can have this option with the Assit Center software for this. And yes I know it spelled wrong! LOL!

Glad you made it work. Curious, did you have to license this AssetCentre install or just install it then you had more choices in the FactoryTalk configuration for audit trail info?

Would consider installing it on all 3 of my systems if it does not have to be purchased. Customer only owns one copy of AssetCentre that we actually use for DR and change management.

RSL