OT: Prospective Employers Asking For Facebook and Email Passwords

kittydog42

My advice - create another account that is as clean as a whistle, say you dont use facebook much, and give them those credentials.

I like your attitude!!

I would give them a big ole KMA just based on principle

I got roped in to having a LinkedIn and Facebook account by friends and business acquaintances. I don't do anything with Facebook. It is silly. Even linkedIn is silly with everyone wanting to be linked to everyone else. Crazy.

I think one is better off not having these accounts. I see to many wannabe professionals embarrass themselves by asking questions they should already have the answers to or making less than informed comments.

Well, I certainly would not get that job, especially after I told them to POUND SAND!:mad:

If they are that concerned about it then they should bite the bullet and do a 10 year background check, drug screens, but that would cost them money.

I don't (and won't) have a facebook account. I have a LinkedIn account and it has perhaps three pieces of info about me on it and that's it. I ignore most requests.

Considering that facebook would contain clues about someone's marital and family status - things potential employers can't ask about anyways - I'm not entirely sure requesting access to a prospects facebook page would have firm legal standing.

It is a violation of Facebook's TOS anyhow. Not to mention a violation of probably ANY companies computer use policy.
Line one, Page one, In GIANT FLAMING LETTERS, THOU SHALT NOT SHARE CREDENTIALS.

ask the interveiwer for their personal information also.
address and bank account numbers and paswords before you give them your info.
put the shoe on their foot first.

Wow, so now HR has gotten so dang lazy they want to look at Facebook accounts to see if someone qualifies for the job. What happened to the freakin interview? Isn't that where you are going to find out if someone can do the job. I mean other than seeing what friends someone has what are you really learning about the person... They have free time to play on the computer??

Well I do not have a Facebook account but I have a LinkedIn account. They can look at that all they want. If I did have a Facebook account I would probably tell them to get stuffed.

So if you do not have a Facebook account then what?