CIP message development

mbmorrison

Does anyone know how to calculate the "abbreviated data type" value of a UDT that includes a STRING data type?

I am trying to send CIP messages from ControlLogix to a computer without the EWEB or EN2T. I am decoding the CIP message with a C# application. Instead of calculating a CRC for the packet, CIP uses an "abbreviated data type" value which is the crc calculation of the UDT Type Encoding String. Much of the details can be found in this RA document: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/enabled/pdf/TypeEncode_CIPRW.pdf

The missing information from this document is the STRING datatype. The CRC for a STRING datatype is ce 0f no matter the length of the string.

I can seperate the STRING data types from the UDT's, but I would like to keep them together.

Does anyone know how to calculate the "abbreviated data type" value of a UDT that includes a STRING data type?