New ET200SP coming. What are your thoughts ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

I just heard that a new i/o system from Siemens is coming, ET200SP. Look here: www.siemens.com/et200sp

It seems to be very much like ET200S, with these differences:
Backplane is synced with the PN update rate.
Only PN and ASi are available, no Profibus (!).
Highest module density is 16 digital channels.
Push-in cage clamp terminals.
RIUP (!).

I am vary about the push-in cage clamp terminals. Can these terminals have the same force for holding the wires as regular cage clamp terminals ?
We also have a lot invested in integrating the older ET200S into our systems, so it would be a huge job to switch.
Also, what abouth the CPU for ET200S, IM151-8 ? I just love this little CPU, and it is a real bonus to be able to share the i/o types with the distributed systems over PN or Profibus.
It looks like Siemens will be moving to ET200SP in the long run. I cant imagine that they will keep two such similar platforms in parallel.

What do you all think ?

I am just guessing here but i think that IM151-8/300 series will probably also be phased out in favor of a cpu line based on the same platform as the 1200 series.

I am thinking that this is a strategic move. Making the system incompatible with old products and offer new products that only work in the TIA portal will eventually force us all to the new TIA software platform

I doubt that the 1200 series will be the replacement for IM151-8 or S7-300. It does not scale up enough, neither in size or performance. The ET200SP could have potential though.