Siemens ET200SP + Modbus RTU, termination resistors?

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

Happy belated turkey day!

I have an ET200SP PLC with serial unit. We read out date from two energy meters using modbus RTU. We run a cable from the RTU unit terminals, from there a cable goes to each of the meters. Technically, we have a star network. We use no resistors currently.

We are experiencing drops to one of the devices. And I think we may need termination resistors here.

My question, where to put these? At the two meters, AND the PLC end?

Thanks guys!

Hi Jesper,

RS485, baudrate 19200. Distance not sure, but I imagine 10-20 meters for each device.

Do you recon we should put the two meters in series, or rewire our cabinet such that both cables terminate directly to the CP?

Thanks!

Thanks Jesper, I will check it out.

Can't use Profibus plugs unfortunately, all devices are just screw terminals.