GPS Systems in Industrial Automation

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I was on a flight back from Cincinnati last night and was looking thru that Skymall Catalog. I took notice of GPS Tracking systems that mount on vehicles. I have been brainstorming alot lately about the "What If's". In the yard we have forklifts taking our cubes to different bays. What I was thinking is if I can draw our yard on a HMI , and be able bring a GPS system into the plc and use the latitude and longitude , use a barcode reader on the forklift. I can keep track of his trips and roughy inventory. I imagine that there are regular GPS / software systems out there , but for big money. Any ideas.

Thanks again,

I know several plants that have AGV systems doing exactly that. 1 of them uses a 3 dimensional array in a ControlLogix. This system fills the rack with part 1234 and then does a Aeschylus for that part number. 1 St dimension is the row (X axis),2nd is the column (Y axis), 3rd is the height (Z axis).

Complex search program to find the position. But it does work.

Thanks for all your responses. I took notice of a GPS device called Tracking Key . It says it is capable of keeping track to 2.5 meters ( 8.2 feet ) . Any of the systems that you have seen , are they that precise that you can pickup about 8' of movement. Some of our inventory bays are about 8' or so apart.

Thanks,