Problems Trying to Restore Runtime FactoryTalk ME 6.10

tspisak

I have been having problems restoring application in FT ME from a runtime (.mer) in the latest version of FT ME (v6.10).

The displays have firmware 5.10 installed so the mer file was saved as 5.10 when downloaded. I can upload the .mer file but I get the useless error message "Unable to restore application" check disk space, application not opened, and destination doesn't exist.

I can restore the file with a different computer running an older version for FT ME (v6.0) but not my laptop with v6.10.

Does anyone know a way to restore from runtime from a 5.10 mer file on a 6.10 computer?

(FYI: I don't have FT ME running when I try to create the application from a runtime)

If you can post the .mer I can try and open it with 6.1 to check if it is an install issue.

Even though it made with v. 5.10, you have the option when creating it, NOT to allow it to be restored. To restore it, you must use the application manager and select restore runtime application to do it.

OK. I misread your post. The 5.1 .mer was created with ver. 6.1 and you can't restore it, but ver. 6.0 can? Somehow that doesn't make sense. what verion of windows is 6.1 installed on? Because to allow 6.1 to work on x64 bit systems, Rockwell changed the DB that they were using from Watcom to SQL Server Express.

The OP emailed it to me and I tested and had the same results. I tested on a machine that I am currently converting FT ME 5.1 apps to FT SE 6.1 so I know the machine is working with 5.1.

Well if the 6.0 machine can restore it, restore it to that machine. Then make an archive file (.apa) and restore that to the 6.1 machine.

Last edited:
OK. I misread your post. The 5.1 .mer was created with ver. 6.1 and you can't restore it, but ver. 6.0 can? Somehow that doesn't make sense. what verion of windows is 6.1 installed on? Because to allow 6.1 to work on x64 bit systems, Rockwell changed the DB that they were using from Watcom to SQL Server Express.
6.1 software is on a Win 7 laptop (32 bit). 6.0 software is on a XP desktop.

Well if the 6.0 machine can restore it, restore it to that machine. Then make an archive file (.apa) and restore that to the 6.1 machine.
tried that - same error message. I looking for someone who has had this problem and found a work around (or discovered that its not possible)

I haven't used ver. 6.1 yet except to breifly check it out on a x64 bit machine. I don't understand how a v. 6.0 Studio can restore it, but not a v. 6.1.

Wait, I thought in your original post you said you COULD restore it with the 6.0 version. It's possible the .mer file you have was either created to NOT allow the file to be restored. Or is it possible that the .mer file was created with a ME version prior to version 5.0? Olmer .mer files will run on PVPs with newer firmware.

See tech note 468530. This is basically what it says..

Cause:

The application was renamed several times and the \TAG folder contained a tag database file named after one of the previous application names.

Solution:

Delete any files in the \TAG folder named after previous application names, the \TAG folder should only contain an ALARM.DAT file and up to four files names after the application.

Open in 6 or 5.1. I also just realized the tech note is for .apa, but I would think the .mer file would be included as well... just a guess though. May want to call Rockwell and get their thoughts.

Open in 6 or 5.1. I also just realized the tech note is for .apa, but I would think the .mer file would be included as well... just a guess though. May want to call Rockwell and get their thoughts.

You can't just open an .mer file. It's compiled (sort of). There is a technote on how you can recover SOME parts of an .mer, but unless it's ver. 5. or greater and conversion was allowed, you're out of luck.