Adding Analog Signals

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a device that can that two analog signals in (in this case 0-5 VDC) and provide an output of the signals added together?

The signals are being generated by load cells, the kind with the amplifier in them but I don't believe that makes a difference. Anyway, they can't be changed now.

Thanks

There is always the cheap and dirty method of a small breadboard PCB with an op-amp and a bunch of 1% resistors. Just build a simple summing amp with 100K input resistance and 100K gain resistor, then add a second stage with equivelant resitance values to correct for the inversion. Add a couple of PCB terminal blocks and DIN rail mounts and your all set. If you want the difference between signals then add an extra stage to invert one channel.

Depends on your accuracy requirements, but the parts shouldn't cost more than $50.

It depends on where you're going with this. A micrologix analog would be great if you're doing something else. You can buy logic blocks from M-systems and AGM for this. mg

Thanks for all the suggestions. The two signals are going into a PLC (A Moeller Easy 800) but the problem is the end user, who purchased the load cells purchased 0-5 V output and the only configuration on the input is 0-10V so I'm loosing half my resolution.

When he initially called me I thought he had a problem with the resolution but it was more of an offset problem which we took care of. The Easy 800 is actually adding the two signals together and spitting the sum out the analog output. I could do better with full range on the inputs but he doesn't need the resolution so I'm set.

Thanks Again

nOrM