SLC 5/03 Processor Fault

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a SLC 5/03 with a fault that I can't put my finger on. I've attached two projects. The one named "...In Processor" is what is currently running. I added a new acid tank to the process and that is the project named "...with new tank". Each time I try to run the desired project "...with new tank", I keep getting a fault that is coming from my RTD Module, I:11. I had to add a new RTD module as the other two are all populated. I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand why the one project faults the processor while the one in the processor does not. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Not really. I'm not sure why but whenever I put load the program that has the RTD Module in slot 10, the module in slot 11 faults. I don't know if I'm putting to much strain on the power supply or what. Nothing definitive

Click on the PowerSupply button of the I/O configuration of the with_new_tank. It clearly says your ps is overloaded...

But, so does the in_processor version.

For the record, I NEVER use the small power supply...

To eliminate the Card try swapping card in slot 12 with that in slot 10 and see if the fault remains or moves with the card

steve

The problem lied with the backplane itself. Thank you Ron, you were 100% correct, again. The fact that the module in slot 11 was sending the error bit had nothing to do with the actual problem. This is to help anyone else in the future that may have the same problem. Ron asked if I had a module in all of the slots, which was important because this room is full of large heated acid tanks for cleaning aerospace parts. Even having a cover on the front of the chassis couldn't keep all of the acid out and it did not take much corrosion to interfere with the 5 volt logic on the backplane. After cleaning with contact cleaner and using an old module, I pulled out the module and re-seated it several times, as Ron suggested. After a few times, the problem went away. I still, for peace of mind, removed a module that was not being used and put my new RTD Module in and it is happy again. Thanks to you all for your input.