32 BIT position reference to motion drive

pauly

I need to send a real value reference from my PLC as two 16 bit integers (which are combined in the drive as a 32 bit word) but I'm at a bit of a loss as the way to do it in RSLOGIX 5000. I've done it before in other PLC systems by using the REAL to DINT function and placing the output word addresses in the lower and upper parts of the function. Logix has no such function so does any body have any advice?o_O
The value I need to send could be something like 85.655 (mm)

Can you better define "send"? Is the drive connected to the controller with an Ethernet I/P I/O connection? A serial cable? Is this an unsolicited message?

Also, I bet you will get some answers if you tell us the make/model of the motion drive since this is critical to giving an accurate answer.

OR, are you just looking for a way to split the real number into two DINTS?

Use the Copy (COP) or the Copy Synchronous (CPS) instruction with a REAL source and a DINT destination.

The COP and CPS instructions in RSLogix 5000 perform a byte-by-byte transfer of data.

The difference is that the Copy Synchronous takes microseconds longer because it locks the source and destination data tables for the duration of the process. For a single REAL element there's no difference unless its source is a digital network that uses smaller than 32-bit blocks.

The similar Move (MOV) instruction is also an automatic datatype converter; if you Moved a REAL to a DINT you'd get the integer value, not the byte-by-byte contents.

Many automation devices define the byte order differently when using a generic transfer protocol like DeviceNet or Profibus; it's possible you will need to do additional data manipulation using arrays (a SINT[4] or INT[2] equals a DINT) or using the Swap Bytes (SWPB) instruction.

This is an ABBB ACSM1 DRIVE

The drive in question is an ABB ACSM1 drive and the interface is via a FEN-11 Ethernet interface to a Controllogix processor. The connection is Ethernet I/P. Because this is a positioning application the 32 bit interface is needed.