Addressing a Remote I/O Bit

Cotafam

See the screenshot of EIP tag list. We are trying to read in a digital input that is hard-wired. It is shown here as I31.1. I believe we cannot read in specific bits of a tag. What would the nomenclature be for reading in a channel from a remote IO "RS2_AENTR" I know Local IO would be something like "Local:1:I.Ch01.Data"

Some other options
RS2_AENTR:1:I.Data
For the bit address:
Local:1:I.Data[bit_number]

I am unsure of how exactly to address remote I/Os or syntax
1712263435009.png

1712263860772.png

I31.1
The goal is to try and display this bit

Yes, he is referring to the RS2_AENTR. Is that the name in the device tree?

Another question, where are you trying to display it? If you are using FactoryTalk View Studio, the tag browser doesn't allow you to address bits directly. While in the tag browser, you should select the base tag, I31, and when it is in the Selected Tag box at the bottom of the browser, you can manually add the .1 to the end of that.

Yes, he is referring to the RS2_AENTR. Is that the name in the device tree?

Another question, where are you trying to display it? If you are using FactoryTalk View Studio, the tag browser doesn't allow you to address bits directly. While in the tag browser, you should select the base tag, I31, and when it is in the Selected Tag box at the bottom of the browser, you can manually add the .1 to the end of that.
Hey Mike,
I work for a SaaS company that takes in tag list and builds displays much like scada but with no control just view only. So a customer could view the activity of their machine or what have you. In this particular case this bit is a whisker counter on a conveyor and I am trying to bring it in. I have yet to try to bring in single bits like this but our software boys say it's possible.

As I mentioned, I know FactoryTalk View Studio, doesn't let you address a bit from the browser, you have to manually make it do that. I use Ignition as well, and when I create tags for for displays, I basically have to do the same thing. I drag the OPC tag into my tag browser, then open the tag editor to append the bit address to the end of the base tag. I have used other HMI software packages that work in much the same way.

If you really want to address the base tag, there are a few different ways it could appear. This assumes that the input is in slot 1 and that the AENTR is named RS2_AENTR.
Code:
RS2_AENTR:1:I.1
RS2_AENTR:I.Data[1].1
RS2_AENTR:1:I.Pt01Data

The best way to figure out how it will appear is to look for that tag in the Controller Tags. You should be able to drill all the way down to the bit level to get the exact address. However, I think using I31 would probably be the better option. It is most likely mapped in a way that if for some reason the physical input needs to be changed, the program can be changed to remap the new physical input to I31.1. Wherever it is that you are trying to use the I31 address, just type in the .1 to the end and see how that works for you.